PC or power supply issue?

Jeffcu

Hello,
I have an Acer 1080 pc running Windows 11. I've had an off and on problem for several months on morning startup. Some days the computer powers up normally and quickly. On others it can take a minute or longer to initiate power. I have to continuously hit the power button. It usually responds quicker if I unplug the cord from the PC and plug it back in a couple times. On other days it just takes a quick tap and it instantly powers up. I've tried various things such as shutting the system down completely at night, letting it go to sleep, closing the cover, adjusting the various power settings and it still is an issue on some days. Is there anything I can try to resolve this?

Thanks,
Jeff

DavidG

Most likely a hardware problem somewhere. Either a faulty power button, motherboard, or PSU. Strip of the covers and then identify the startup pins from the motherboard. Shorting them will simulate a power on. If you get a reliable power on then the switch is faulty.
After that it is a question of swapping out with known good parts. This is best done by a workshop.