pc slow down

murphy0207

hello newbie here

my pc goes slow about a week after a re-master. i just done a re-master 6 days ago and defrag every night and pc still starts to run slow i download torrents somtimes but would of thought defrag would stop it from running slow.the hard drive is 110gb but i rarely use more than about 30-40gb .anybody with advice would be great.

packard bell

16x dvd-rw
4x dvd rw
512 ddr ram
110 hd
radeon 9100 igp 128mb graphics
p4 2.4ghz
xp home sp2
:confused:

Bobo

banned
murphy0207 said:
how do i inrease it i cant see anyway of doing it

You don't increase the cache, it is built in.

Unless you buy a new hdd...

Or it might not be that, but I cant figure what else might be causing it to run so slow

What type of ram do you have? And how many sticks?

murphy0207

2 x 256 ddr ram but when itried to find out some software said it was only 384mb of ram in total(detected) now i'm more confused :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bobo

banned
murphy0207 said:
2 x 256 ddr ram but when itried to find out some software said it was only 384mb of ram in total(detected) now i'm more confused :confused: :confused: :confused:

Your system (i think) is apparently using 128MB for integrated gfx, is that what you have?

????I dunno???

murphy0207

ahhhhhhhhhhh i understand now. (brain clicked in now)
so really only buying a new hard drive will resolve the problem . which is a shame as i dont even use halve of the 110gb anyway

cheers bobo :eek:

Bobo

banned
murphy0207 said:
ahhhhhhhhhhh i understand now. (brain clicked in now)
so really only buying a new hard drive will resolve the problem . which is a shame as i dont even use halve of the 110gb anyway

cheers bobo :eek:

I don't get what you understand...I'm totally confused now :eek:

murphy0207

Bobo said:
I don't get what you understand...I'm totally confused now :eek:

the difference in the quoted ram sizes, i assumed if the ram was being reported incorrectly there may have been a problem with the ram . which was causing the original problem............

Bobo

banned
murphy0207 said:
the difference in the quoted ram sizes, i assumed if the ram was being reported incorrectly there may have been a problem with the ram . which was causing the original problem............

:eek: Now I understand, too

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but would of thought defrag would stop it from running slow
defrag damn near does nothing

p4 2.4ghz
Whats the core speed on this?

i download torrents
Torrenting is a CPU (and hdd) intensive task

how do I inrease it I cant see anyway of doing it
You cant. Harddrive cache is fully limited by the physical drive ... and even if you have a "small" cache, its not gonna make that much of a difference

2 x 256 ddr ram but when itried to find out some software said it was only 384mb of ram in total(detected) now i'm more confused
You have an onboard video chip draining your system memory

is that what you have?
Yes

so really only buying a new hard drive will resolve the problem
No that would be hastily spending money.

the difference in the quoted ram sizes, I assumed if the ram was being reported incorrectly there may have been a problem with the ram . which was causing the original problem............
Theres no problem. The IGP uses system memory.