PC Upgrade for Video editing / Ipod /Web use

C-B

Dear all any help for me on this subject after looking at your replies to other threads, would be much appreciated.

I want to upgrade my PC for use with my DV camera / Ipod / Web and also want to use 64bit technology. I want it to be fast ie use the fast memory type eg kvr533d2n4/1g with the option to upgrade memory to 4Gig. Have come up with following so far; what are your thoughts?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
CPU - AMD ATHLON 64 300 + 1.8Ghtz ADA3000DIK4B1
HARD DRIVE - HITACHI DESKSTAR T7K250
MEMORY - kvr533d2n4/1g

Intending to use my existing box and power supply if possible, along with existing screen and mouse / keyboard/hard drive/floppy drive.

Use Apple Ipod and therefore need to download. Comes with a message when I do, that it would be faster with USB2. So I will need all the up to date ways of connecting my Ipod; and also my DV camera.

Will I need to upgrade my case to get USB2 sockets etc / enough power?

I will use a computer shop to buy the equipment and install it all and ghost my information across.

Probably looking at £500 all in for the above. Is that enough (hope so!!)

Any thoughts much appreciated!!

Regards

Tony

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Is probably overkill, you can save your money by gettin the Ultra version :)

MEMORY - kvr533d2n4/1g
Wont work with an AMD machine. AMD only supports DDR memory. if you want DDR2 go Intel

For what you're doing its a pretty fair tossup between AMD and Intel (i think id personally go Intel but its still fairly close) ... have a look at the CPU 101.

C-B

Would like to stay with AMD for 64 bit technology

What memory would you advise, as I have read about multi threading? / dual threading?