PCI Slot Better?

Multiplasm

I recently purchased a PCI wireless adapter for my tower. I did this because after days of researching, I found that even though PCI is dated; new motherboards continue to use PCI slots, and a normal user such as myself could virtually never reach the maximum throughput of PCI using the internet. I also purchased the PCI wireless adapter because they are generally much cheaper than PCIe wireless adapters. Would anybody reading this thread agree with this post? I'm only asking as a way to make more sense and gain knowledge of why there are even different types of PCI, and PCIe slots. If you believe me to be incorrect in this thought process, please do tell me so, as we all make mistakes.

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
From my understanding you're correct, internet speeds currently do not max out the throughput of PCI slots, but network and other LAN speeds can easily, thus why some choose PCIe1x slot based network adapters.

One again, you're correct in that newer motherboards most likely will continue to support PCI as there are just too many other things that depend on it. While you can get sound/ethernet/video/etc in PCIe1x, they're often cheaper and just as reliable to get in PCI form.

Interesting thread you've started, I'm curious to see others opinions on this "outdated" hardware. Like how some people strictly use USB, while others argue PS/2 is better; this could end up in a rather nifty debate.