PCMCIA slot damaged Toshiba 2800 S-201

stilllearning6

It appears as if the contact pins within the PCMCIA slot are bent .
Tried several PCMCIA wifi cards , one at a time . Specs allow for one Type III or allow two type I or II simultaneously . Alas , no go .

Plan to attempt to disassemble laptop , expose pins ( I hope ) , and straighten . I believe that the card slot is part of MoBo , deemed not replaceable .

Any guidance or suggestions ? First time try at this and need all the guidance available / instruction available .

Would like to have a Toshiba Satellite 2800 S-201 Service Manual for disassembly instructions .

alanuofm

VIP Member
i have checked the toshiba site several times and they dont seem to provide a manual. they probably want you to send it in and have them fix it. is it under warranty?

stilllearning6

Not under warranty . I purchased two Satellite 2800 S-201 laptops from a corporation who was unloading them .

Each had been upgraded from Win Millenium with original 64 RAM and 6 giga to Win XP Pro plus SP2 with 192 RAM .

Never received any discs . I registered as new owner with Toshiba , but I am on my own .

Any suggestions as to discs , manuals , websites is much appreciated . Hoping that more experienced folks here can guide me. Some folks here seem very knowledgeable with disassembly . I am a beginner .

stilllearning6

Thank you for the website . The Satellite 2545 seems close enough to the Satellite 2800 to attempt disassembly.

Excellent pics there for the novice such as myself .

For others interested , the some of the disassembly pics are comprised of 3 enlargeable pics with better views . Took me several passes to accidentally catch that tidbit .

Not sure until I disassemble whether I will get access to the PCMCIA holder slot area and eventually to the bent pins within the slot.

My experience has been that planning and theory was easier than execution of plans.

Thanks to all .