Pentax K200D

Irishwhistle

I'm sure Hoya has a good plan to weather the financial storm.
If you buy into Pentax now and say a year later they go under, you'll still be able to purchase equipment that you need for a good while to come. They aren't going to disappear over night.

Plus when you buy a DSLR your buying into the company, your getting what they offer now, not what they should be offering in the future. If Pentax works for you now, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the same parts if they do go under.

Plus, if you ever do out grow Pentax, there is a good chance you will be able to afford to run two different branded bodies.

It would be worth the "risk" to me, but I already know what Pentax offers in terms of quality.

OK, at this point I think I'm convinced... now I'll just have to see what happens between now and when I buy to make the final decision. Thanks! :)

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Ah, that's good to hear.
I don't mind at all if you go with Canon. I just want you to make the decision based upon facts and what works for you, rather then claims that have no real substance.

Irishwhistle

Ah, that's good to hear.
I don't mind at all if you go with Canon. I just want you to make the decision based upon facts and what works for you, rather then claims that have no real substance.

Yeah. The biggest reason I like the Pentax approach is because I like big, heavy cameras... now that's something you don't hear very often. :p

Jet

VIP Member
Again, facts:

Comparing the Canon 30D to the Pentax K10D:

Canon 30D:
69.4 cubic inches
27.7 ounces

Pentax K10D
62.7 cubic inches
28 ounces

(both are significantly heavier and bigger than the K200D or the D90).

Get the Pentax, I just wanted you to be informed ;)

Irishwhistle

Again, facts:

Comparing the Canon 30D to the Pentax K10D:

Canon 30D:
69.4 cubic inches
27.7 ounces

Pentax K10D
62.7 cubic inches
28 ounces

(both are significantly heavier and bigger than the K200D or the D90).

OK, cool! :) The only small cameras that I like how they feel in my hands are the D40/D40x/D60 and XSi (I don't really consider the D90 or K200D to be small cameras... they're small compared to some, but fairly nice size.)

Get the Pentax, I just wanted you to be informed ;)

Ah! Someone doesn't want me to get a D30! :p lol

Not sure which I'll get, the K10D or K200D, as I might not even be able to find a K10D when I buy. Also, I believe Pentax comes out with a new line of cameras every year so they might have the K30D and K300D out when I buy, but at least I'm convinced that Pentax is the way to go... now I just have to find some place to try one... :p

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Jet

VIP Member
Well, the whole story is that I thought I was bidding on a 30D back in December. I didn't even know they made the D30. So, when it arrived, naturally, I was surprised--I thought that the guy did some weird switch up on me. However, that was not the case--the auction was, indeed, for the D30. Luckily I was able to sell everything and not lose any money. So, now I actually have the 30D.

Irishwhistle

Well, the whole story is that I thought I was bidding on a 30D back in December. I didn't even know they made the D30. So, when it arrived, naturally, I was surprised--I thought that the guy did some weird switch up on me. However, that was not the case--the auction was, indeed, for the D30. Luckily I was able to sell everything and not lose any money. So, now I actually have the 30D.

ROFL! :rolleyes: That must of been at least a little disappointing when you got it. :p

Jet

VIP Member
Yep--had a lot of stuff with it, but the thing that tipped me off was the really tiny LCD. Then, the kicker was when I downloaded pictures and they were only 3MP. Then I knew something terribly wrong had happened :D.

Irishwhistle

Yep--had a lot of stuff with it, but the thing that tipped me off was the really tiny LCD. Then, the kicker was when I downloaded pictures and they were only 3MP. Then I knew something terribly wrong had happened :D.

:p It's kinda confusing how Canon and Nikon have the opposite naming scheme. :rolleyes: