Photo Tourney Voting Period

How Many Days Should Tourney Voting Be Open?

• One Day

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Two Days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Three Days

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Four Days

• Five Days

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Six Days

• Seven Days

• Eight Days

• Nine Days

• Ten Days

• Eleven Days

• Twelve Days

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's come up again that the voting period for tournaments is either too long or too short. How long do you think voting should be open for?

Feel free to discuss.

Punk

Staff member
Tourney's can be created during the weekend and voted during the week :).

voyagerfan99

Staff member
We don't always get all submissions over the weekend. But I see what you're saying - start the voting on a Monday and end it on a Friday/Saturday.

Punk

Staff member
Given the latest forum activity we could wait weeks on certain subjects in order to get enough entries...

voyagerfan99

Staff member
The big problem was the winner of the previous tourney went inactive so it sat for a few weeks before I had Jason just start a new one.

spirit

Staff member
The big problem was the winner of the previous tourney went inactive so it sat for a few weeks before I had Jason just start a new one.

Yes, this is a problem.

I think there should be a rule saying that you should not participate unless you are an active member and can create a new tourney within a couple of days of the previous one closing, should you win. If you win but don't create a new tourney after 2 or 3 days, then the runner up should just go ahead and create a new one.

I think 3 or 4 days is long enough to vote.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
3 days in my opinion, it takes 3-4 days to make a new tourney or even longer. That means with 5-7 days voting, a new tourney starts every 1,5 week+ and that's is too long and boring resulting in less activity.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yes, this is a problem.

I think there should be a rule saying that you should not participate unless you are an active member and can create a new tourney within a couple of days of the previous one closing, should you win. If you win but don't create a new tourney after 2 or 3 days, then the runner up should just go ahead and create a new one.

I think 3 or 4 days is long enough to vote.

The problem with this statement is the creator of the last tourney WAS active a lot, but then decided to go inactive right as that tourney was ending.

I'll wait and see if anyone else has anymore input.

spirit

Staff member
He wasn't that active. If you looked at his forum activity, you would have seen that he was inactive for months before briefly coming back, participating in the tourney, winning it, and then leaving again.

Last edited:

vroom_skies

VIP Member
There is no need for more rules.
This was always meant to be nothing more then a laid back "competition" for fellow photographers. The more rules it has the less fun it becomes.
Ironically we had a much bigger following when it first started. Does that tie into too much structure today? Don't know, but it is interesting.

I've always envisioned it similar to the way that Punk does. I'm sure we'd all rather have more frequent topics. Rather then waiting on one or two extra votes that nine times out of ten doesn't alter the final out come of the voting.

Do we need 11 entries for every topics? No, we don't, nor is everyone going to have a photo for every theme anyways. I'd say a goal for at least 5 entries per theme and then just keep it on a faster cycle would be ideal.

I've always been a fan of three days voting as that keeps the pace flowing. Anything over five days is way way over kill. I kept track of that back in the day when this topic came up then and my figures pointed to three days being optimal.

So something along the lines of 3 / 4 days per works for me. Weather we want that to be 3 or 4 days entry or 3 or 4 days voting, should work fine either way.
That way we would keep it on the week cycle.

Last edited: