Photoshop going undercover

jeffowen

I have been using Photoshop CS2 on my W7 64bit pro PC successfully for a number of years now but last week (MS update?) the program is misbehaving almost to the point that I can't use it without resorting to many additional keystrokes.

Examples; whenever I carry out an action in Photoshop like changing levels or copying one image onto another to create a new layer the images on the display together with some of the palettes just disappear. One most annoying thing that happens is when I close an image it asks me whether I want to save it, but this sub window is behind the image so I can't see it. It is as if the background moves to the foreground. I can recover my work images by minimizing (restore down) and then maximizing Photoshop, even then not all the palettes etc. come back.
Sometimes when I open another program window like Window Explorer the palettes from Photoshop remain on the screen. I have to minimise Photoshop before opening Windows Explorer to ensure they are not visible.

I have already completely uninstalled CS2 and reinstalled it but the problem remains. I suspect that it is something MS has done during one of it's updates but whatever the cause can anyone suggest how I can get my program back into working order?

Punk

Staff member
Have you tried rolling back before the update?

If that doesn't work, I would suggest uninstalling PS CS2, then clearing your Registry errors and useless files (I use CCleaner for that) and re-installing it.

jeffowen

W7 did not allow me to roll back to before the problem. I have done a full Photoshop uninstall including the registry errors. I have tried changing the compatibility to run it in XP. I have cleared and recreated the preferences in Photoshop. I have tried to run the program in virtual XP. NONE of these seem to work.
Now I discover that I am not the only person that has seen similar problems with Photoshop. No one has come up with an answer that works, at least not that I have seen. It is so frustrating that a perfectly good program is screwed up in the name of 'progress'. It makes me think that I will go and route out my old XP PC and use that for my photo editing!

Punk

Staff member
W7 did not allow me to roll back to before the problem. I have done a full Photoshop uninstall including the registry errors. I have tried changing the compatibility to run it in XP. I have cleared and recreated the preferences in Photoshop. I have tried to run the program in virtual XP. NONE of these seem to work.
Now I discover that I am not the only person that has seen similar problems with Photoshop. No one has come up with an answer that works, at least not that I have seen. It is so frustrating that a perfectly good program is screwed up in the name of 'progress'. It makes me think that I will go and route out my old XP PC and use that for my photo editing!

CS2 is really old too, I don't think they'll provide support for these issues :/

One thing you can try to see if it's Win7 that created the problem is running CS2 on a XP Virtual Machine.

jeffowen

Well, after so much battling with the W7 update issues I reluctantly changed to W10 and so far have been pleasantly surprised. Only a few programs didn't make it but at least most are working OK.