Please advise - Buying desktop

colin72

Hi

First, I'm a novice when it comes to computer hardware, etc. I want to buy a new desktop pc and spend $700-$900.

Besides normal tasks I'll be using it for photo editing and web site design (Photoshop CS5 + Dreamweaver CS5) and editing video from my Kodak zi8 (Adobe Premiere CS5).

I've considered building a pc but it seems more expensive than buying a prebuilt. The two desktops I'm considering are...

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450t series $900.99 (with taxes and free shipping)

* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* Intel Core i7-870 quad-core processor [2.93GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
* 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
* 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB
* 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 315 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410t series $692 (with taxes and free shipping)

* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* IntelCore i5-760 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
* 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
* 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
* 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

The difference in HD space isn't really important to me because I have a 1 TB external HD. The difference in RAM is 2 GB but I could always upgrade the 6 GB system in a year or two if needed.

So... knowing what I will be using the desktop for and that I'd like to use it for maybe 5 years, do you think the 410t desktop is fine with the i5 processor and 512MB Radeon card or is it worth the extra $200 to go for the 450t with the i7 processor and 1GB Nvidia GeForce? Also, I'm cusomtizing each pc on hp's site so I can upgrade some specs.

If anyone has opinions/suggestions on other pcs that would be better buys than either of the ones I listed, please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate any guidance/ advice you guys are willing to take the time to give.

Regards
Colin

Ankur

You have a very good budget, you can build a better PC at home. If you are looking for the HPs then I suggest you the 450t.