Please help, computer won't start!

dgessler

I have a 2 year old build system (it's my little brothers):

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
- 2GB Memory
- GeForce 6600GT card

All of a sudden, the computer won't start. So I replace the power supply. It started up fine for a while, but something wasn't quite right. Later that night, the computer stopped booting up again. No fan's spinning, nothing at all. Pushing the power button does nothing. I can hear a high pitched noise coming from my power supply when it's on.

What do you all think happened? Could I have fried the motherboard and/or CPU? Which one did I likely fry? Any tests I can do to see? It's not a power socket problem.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks! P.S. - my little bro played World of Warcraft on this computer for 6 months or so very intensily before it died.

Dan Gessler

Ambushed

I have a 2 year old build system (it's my little brothers):

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
- 2GB Memory
- GeForce 6600GT card

All of a sudden, the computer won't start. So I replace the power supply. It started up fine for a while, but something wasn't quite right. Later that night, the computer stopped booting up again. No fan's spinning, nothing at all. Pushing the power button does nothing. I can hear a high pitched noise coming from my power supply when it's on.

What do you all think happened? Could I have fried the motherboard and/or CPU? Which one did I likely fry? Any tests I can do to see? It's not a power socket problem.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks! P.S. - my little bro played World of Warcraft on this computer for 6 months or so very intensily before it died.

Dan Gessler

I've got basicly the same computer but i got a 3200+ and 1 gb of RAM

I've had this happen to be before. I was just playing CS then suddently I heard a noise and my computer went blank. I opened my case i saw that the heatsink fell off. I also played games alot I think this caused overheating. Check that no wires or the headsink hasn't came off. Also replace your paste under your heatsink with new paste.

I had to get a new Motherboard :/

What is your MB / CPU sc? 939?