please help first time custom computer!

ilovefishsticks

I previously posted saying my power led would go on on my case but nothing else would. I found out i needed stand offs between the motherboard and case and that i had shorted my last motherboard because i hadnt used them. i used standoffs and then finaly the fans and leds would turn on for about 7 seconds. i just ordered a new motherboard and i want to make shure this one wont short out.

Is there anything at all i should keep in mind to make shur nothing, especialy the motherboard dosen't short out. keep in mind this is the first computer I have built and even the most odvious things I might not know so any help would be greatly appreceated.

Also does any1 know of a site that shows exactly how to build a computer step by step

apj101

VIP Member
http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

read this, and look on googe for more. Its not difficult but you need to do your research. You cant keep buggering up your components it will end up costing the earth. You may have fried more than just the mobo,

4W4K3

VIP Member
don't have the computer on the carpet for one, try to keep it on a wooden desk or something. wear shoes for better grounding. always touch the case when messing with stuff inside the PC for grounding.

those are the only things i've ever done, and i've never fried anything b4. i dont even use the plastic grounders for the mobo/case, but i do use the little wafers aroudn each screw.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is there anything at all I should keep in mind to make shur nothing, especialy the motherboard dosen't short out
1. Dont do the obviouslt stupid things
2. Use raisers and them paper spacers to keep the screws from potentially inadvertently grounding the mobo in ways you dont want to