Please help me choose what company to buy from??

korym

I just found this site while I was searching Consumer Reports trying to decide which company is better to buy my desktop from. I don't know if I am allowed to use names on here, so I will * out certain letters. OK, my budget is around $800. I am looking into D*ll or H*. Do you have any comments or suggestions on either? With H* I am lookin at the Pavilion a1050y desktop pc. With D*ll I am looking at (I think) a 3000. Both have Pentium 4 processors. I would be upgrading to 512 MB DDR and 80 GB Serial ATA. I guess what i am asking is if H* makes a good computer. Their price is better for what I am wanting it for. I have a home-based business, so basicall all I would need it for is Very small business uses, internet, some pics, and some games (kid games). Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

capt_ka

well i would go with dell because my friend had a hp and it was almost as bad as a comaq preserio. And ive also been told dell is a more descent computer. but thats just me

abananaman

IMO- Dell would be the "better" choice, but I still wouldn't say that's the best thing out there. Mostly I think the old generic home made system is the best:) I think Dell is overpriced w/ their machines, but they seem to be decent systems. HP on the other hand- while the price is good, the reason for that is the super cheap little pieces they stick in that make the computer's really slow. I know a guy who bought a BRAND NEW HP Pavilion desktop, 2.66 GHz P4, 512 RAM, blah blah, out of the box it ran slower than my old 366 sitting at home (admittedly, this isn't your typical 366, it's had the snot tweaked out of it, but still...). But that's just my opinion...

Travo925

I would have to agree with the both of these posts. Go with the Dell. The 3000 is a decent computer for what you will be doing, and matched with 512mb it will perform well for simple tasks. The HP's I have owned haven't always been the best computers Ive owned. I had many problems(since I got it) with an HP P2 I have, including HDD failures.