Please Help! My computer just freezes! I just want to cry

Virus

I just built a new computer and it just keeps freezing. On my ram there are lights to show activity and whenever it freezes the lights stop flashing. This makes me think it might be a problem with the ram.

It is really p*ssing me off so badly i cant explain! I have tried everything i can. I've install several different opperating systems on it (1 at a time-different times) and it still freezes so i dont think its a software problem i dont think.

Can someone please please help, this is really getting to me. I spent all my money buying the parts and building it and i have no money left to take it to a shop for them to look at it. Any information will be VERY much appreciated.

btw the spec of the machine is:

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5AD2 Premium (Skt775) P4 i925X

CPU: Intel Pentium® 4 540J 3.2GHz 800FSB LGA 775

RAM: Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-4300 TwinX Pro Low Latency

HARD DRIVE: 250 GB Maxtor Diamondmax10 SATA 7200rpm UDMA150 16MB Cache

GRAPHICS CARD: Asus EAX700 Pro/TVD ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)

PSU: Akasa Paxpower Blue 400W ATX12V2.0 ultra quiet

Kboy

First, how long does it run before it freezes? Second, make sure all the fans are working and the CPU and other components are cool enough. A hot CPU can freeze your computer anytime. If the cooling is good, hmm... I dont know

Virus

It can freeze at anytime. And it does frequently. Most of the time sooner rather than later(within a couple of minutes 5-20mins) I've had it freeze when i've been intstalling software, when i've been installing xp. even if im not doing anything on the computer sometimes it just freezes. Sometimes it goes for ages though without freezing and i think everything is now okay, then i'll just start doing something and it will freeze:(.

The cpu's temperature is normally 37 C but can go up to 41 C(i've only seen this once though) What should be a good temperature?

Last edited:

Virus

really well i'd prefer it to be a £40 power issue than a £230 RAM issue. What was wrong with the power supply you heard about?

You probably ended up with a defective CPU. They work for a while then completely stops working. Return it and get another one. If you have another P4 CPU, test it and see if it freezes

Virus

thanks well sadly i dont have another computer to test any of the parts on so is there some sort of software i can download to test with??