Please Help!! Stuck on first build

AjsGuns

Not sure where this would go, apologies if its in the wrong forum. I've been putting together all of my parts for the first time, I think I've done ok until now:

I have 3 questions,

The main thing I'm concerned about/having problems with is Panel 1 connections, Panel 1 has 9 pins for nine connections yet there is only 4 leads with 2 pins each (meaning 8 pins, so 1 would be unused)
I took a few pictures to explain myself better,
http://imgur.com/a/GE14G
As you can see in picture 1, there's 4 cables with 2 pins each, yet in the second photo, my manual It's showing a connection to all 9 pins? So what I'm concerned about is the part in the manual where it says:
GND
Reset#
GND
I also took a third picture of the panel, so do i just leave a GND off the panel? I'm pretty confused..

Second question,
I'm about to plug my graphics card in, I know that in many boards you need to plug it into the primary PCEi 3.0 x16 slot, however I can't find anywhere in my manual where it says it matters what slot i plug it into? I did a bit of research and I read in many instances the primary slot is the closest to the CPU, Will it matter which PCIe slot i use on my motherboard? It'll just be much easier/accessibly for me to use the 2nd slot is all, but if it slows my speed down to x8 obviously I'll use the slot closest to the CPU.
Heres my motherboard with specs -
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Pro4/index.us.asp

Third quiestion,
My HDD and SSD don't have any cables to plug them from the back to the motherboard, the PSU has SATA cables to plug them into the power supply but not motherboard, do I need to buy some Sata cables? I would of assumed the motherboard or hard drive supplied them..

Cheers guys :)
Rest of the build so far has been pretty good, only other issues I've ran into is the power supply only screwing into 3 holes not all 4 (It's been lined up correctly, just won't screw into the final hole) and the motherboard only having 7 screws to hold into the case (the case says ATX boards should have 9?, guess different boards have different amounts)

beers

Staff member
1) Usually that last ground goes unused. It also doesn't matter which direction the buttons are oriented as they simply bridge the two pins together when you press the button. If you get the LED connector backwards, the LED wont light up until you swap it back around (the white wire typically is on the top or the front depending on orientation).

2) It doesn't really matter as long as it's PCIE and can fit in the slot, but you'll want to use the one with the highest bandwidth, which is generally the one closest to the CPU. Even at 8x on PCIE 3.0 you won't notice a performance hit when using a single card.

3) The motherboard should have come with at least 2 SATA cables. Here's an unboxing video which shows them being included. Did you buy your board new?

Last edited: