Please help with my computer problem! :)

DeniseH

I purchased a Dell desktop approx 5 1/2 yrs ago. It has been running real slow and had just about no memory left, so a friend gave us an external hard drive and we were able to put alot of our music and pics onto that. It was still running slow and would every so often run out of memory and I would have to move my pics to the external hard drive. Not wanting to invest in a new computer just yet, another friend offered us his Sony Vaio CPU that he said he had barely used.
Last week we finally decided to make the switch. Bad move!!!! Our next door neighbor (who knows some IT stuff) came to switch the E drive into the new Sony. He finally got everything switched over, well most of it anyway. I had wanted to work on cleaning up all the few items our friend had installed on the Sony, just never had a chance. Anyway, I wanted to sync my IPOD, so I decided to update the Itunes and put my music in. All of a sudden as I was transferring in my music, the mouse froze. I could not get it to work....So, long story short, we tried 4 different mice and none would work. Our IT friend thought we may have fried the USB port. So I went to Comp USA yesterday and purchased a Sabrent High Speed 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card to see if that would do that trick. We inserted the disk it came with and now my monitor won't work!!!!
Our friend suggested we just switch out the motherboard and that should solve our problems. I am thinking just get a whole new computer...however that will cost me alot of money right now that I don't have. Can someone help???? Do you think switching out the motherboard will do the trick????
HELP!!!!!! Thanks!!! :confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What model number is this Sony Vaio? You either have a bad power supply, or a motherboard if this also has onboard video instead of a dedicated video card. The only thing is, spending the money on this motherboard will probably get you close to what a new computer costs if you want to stay with a store bought machine.