Please Help with my Wireless NETGEAR MR814v2

Hello

I feel like my connection is being used by others. I went to my router settings and clicked on the attached device i see an unknown device name which is not me. I would like to know how do I set a password for my router/network. I never knew how to do that but if someone can help me that would be great. I always wonder why my connection is always lagging every now and then. If someone can help me please reply to this thread or email me at [email protected]. If you don't know how to set the password so no one else can use my connection and only know a site that would guide me through it please give me that information. Thank very much. Hope to hear from someone.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Make sure your router makes use of the latest firmware (see the Netgear website for more info there)

2. Log into your router (see your manual but usually going to http://192.168.1.1 or a variant of that will let you in)

3. Look for "Security" or something similar, it might/should be under the "Advanced" section. The easiest to setup is probably WEP, set it to the maximum bit encryption.

4. Before you close that window or whatever, goto Control Panel --> Network --> <your wireless card> --> Advanced --> Enable the checkbox for encryption ... and set the same password :) Now close/save the router settings and close the control panel stuff

It should be decently secure. :)

charly

you may set another password instead of <admin> to log in your router. i changed IP for logging in also. the rest came from praetor

ciao