PLEASE help with wireless!

kikoHI

Hi! I posted a message in December I think but I didn't read it till yesterday. I couldn't remember the name of the forum!

Well I followed the advice but I still cannot get my wireless to work. Its driving me nuts.

Right now everything is hooked up. My computer SAYS I am connected and that the signal strength is excellent. But if I unplug the blue cord, I lose the connection!

Someone advised me to set up my browser but that didn't work. And my dad told me that it won't help because the router assigns me an ISP or something like that.

Anyway if you have any advice, PLEASE let me know. I really need this wireless set up. It would make my life so much easier.

Thank you

pc club guy

i know this might sound stupid, but do you have a wireless card installed?
if it is, is the driver for that card working?
have you disabled other connections from other connections? for ex: if you have an icon that says your using a dial-up connection, or something like "Ethernet connection enabled"---just enable your wireless connection alone.
the more information you put here, the better you have of someone helping you. i hope this helps you someway

kikoHI

Yes I have a wireless card installed. Well its internal. So I don't know anything about a driver. I tried using an external one too, but it would never light up.

I have enabled the wireless connection. I have clicked on repair connection. It says I am connected right now. There is a little icon on the bottom right hand corner that says the connection is excellent. The speed is 36 Mbps. But if I unplug the blue cord, I will no longer be online.

Grimulus

on the wireless access point. you PROBABLY don't have enough IP's set in the DCHP. i'm just assuming you are using DHCP. what little blue cord are you talkin' about anyway?

just go on your access point and give another ip.

kikoHI

Hi. I don't know what DCHP is. The blue cord goes from the router to the laptop. And the modem goes in the router. It said I was connected so I took out the blue cord. It still said I was connected but I could no longer access the Internet. How do I know my IP?
Where is my access point?

Prometheus

if you have DHCP enabled on your router, your computer will get assigned an ip address from some set range, otherwise if you don't have it enabled, your computer will have a static ip address to communicate with the router.

to find ip, if you're running winxp
go run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all

if you're running win95/98
go run -> winipcfg and select adapter from drop down box

Your access point is commonly the wireless router. Maybe you could post the exact details of the model so we can see if that's the case here.

kikoHI

Hi. I told my dad the previous advice and he said the router can assign 256 IPs. It worked with his mac. My laptop can't get wireless anywhere. Not at my parents house, my house, or with the router at school. He said I should ask someone how I can trash and rebuild the preferences. He thinks theres just something screwy inthe preferences and we need to reset it. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am horrible with this type of thing.

Trizoy

VIP Member
and this is a wireless router right? Maybe a hybrid of wireless and cat5 cable? Does using one disable the other?