POS wont start up

alphaandomega

Well i'm fixing a computer for my friend and i would like some suggestions on what to do. Its a custom built PC with a P4, a fatal1ty mobo, 3 maxtor hd's, 2 cd drives, 1 gig of ram i belive and like 6 fans. It needs alot of power to run but it does have a 500w power supply. He did have it running before also, but now it wont turn on at all. the only thing that happens is the digital temp gauge lights up and some led on the mobo lights up. I plan on trying to take some of the cards out to see if one is fried, because thats what happened on my computer before and the network card was causeing it not to start up. But is there anything else i should try? I owuld like some ideas before i start ripping this thing apart.
TIA

lynx6200

Could be a psu problem. Ive had that problem, and am still trying to figure it out. Is their a post code or beep code from the mother board? Otherwise I wouls just say remove some of the itmes and go from there.

alphaandomega

No code from the mobo...the power supply fan doesnt even turn on, but it is putting out power. Also, the lights on the CD drives dont light up either. With the problem i had in the past, every dummy light came on.

alphaandomega

here's some of the specs...maybe that will help a little

Abit board
925 XE chipset
LGA 775 3.2 p4
IDE card
Ati Video
1 gig DDR2 RAM
2 RAID HD’s
1 IDE HD
DVD Reader
DVD Burner

Mapnapkin

I would start ripping everything out and leave the video card and a little RAM. See if it boots up.. if it starts, add a part until it stops..
What kind of power supply is it?
What Kind of hard drives?
Dm

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it needs alot of power to run but it does have a 500w power supply
whats the make and model?

he did have it running before also, but now it wont turn on at all. the only thing that happens is the digital temp gauge lights up and some led on the mobo lights up.
plug in the ATX12?

aprire ATX 500w power supply
ahh ASPIre... not a company known for good PSUs... more bling bling than reliability/functionality. what are the rails like?

have a look at the PSU 101.

alphaandomega

well i tried to run it bare bones...but no dice. I think all the cards and the ram are good. I owuld thing the psu would still be good since its pretty much new and it does light up a led on the mobo, so it is putting out a little juice. I dunno what else to try here. Nothing but that led is getting power tho, the processor fan isnt even turning on nor are the lights on the cd-rom's.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
abit board
925 xe chipset
LGA 775 3.2 P4
ide card
ati video
1 gig DDR2 ram
2 raid hd’s
1 ide hd
dvd reader
dvd burner
ok can we get the actual specs (i.e., makes and models)? see QUESTIONS 101.

. I owuld thing the psu would still be good since its pretty much new and it does light up a led on the mobo
what psu is it? did you plug all the cables in?

alphaandomega

the cables are all plugged in, this thing did run at one point in time but one day it just gave my friend the blue screen (on xp which is pretty rare), and then just shut off. and it hasn't run since..the psu is a aspire atx-as500w.