Power supply adapter question

jo86

Hey forum. The power adapter of my laptop gives me electricity current when I touch the tip of the jack that connects to the laptop. I bought my laptop refurbished years ago and the power was always the issue, as the laptop had really bad battery life, and it's now nonexistent: unplug the power and the PC shuts down a few seconds later. I'm thinking, rather than the laptop's battery inside, the pb may be the power adapter/charger. USB devices also turn electric to the touch when I plug them into the laptop.

I'm looking to buy a new power supply adapter to try it out but I'm not sure about compatibility:
mine says:
Input 100-240V 50-60Hz 3.2A
Output 19.5V 11.8A

I'm looking at one on amazon with almost the same stats except the ones in bold:
Input 100-240V 50-60Hz 2.0A
Output 19V 6.32A

Is that compatible or not ? Thanks

jo86

I'm assuming its for the Asus Gl504gm? If so then this is the one you want.

ha yes. But the dedicated ROG ones are more expensive. I know I "shouldn't" but I want to get one of the cheaper generic ones, as long as it does the same job. Would the figures I wrote in the OP work ? What should we look at in this case: the 100-240V and 50-60Hz parts or the 3.2A ?

Couriant

Does your computer have a built in diagnostics? Dell for example has a report in the BIOS and a diagnostic in the boot menu. Batteries don't last forever, and if you haven't changed it yet and was not changed before being sold as a refurbished, it's most likely depleted/old.

If not, then I would suggest creating the battery report in windows. You will need to go into administrator mode in Command Prompt (type cmd in the search box then right click on Command Prompt and choose run as administrator. If it asks you for a password then you are not an admin to the computer.) Next, type powercfg /batteryreport and press enter. It will show a line saying Battery report saved to ..... Typically it will save it in the same location as noted in CMD. Next, type batteryreport.html and press enter. It will show you the report in your default browser window. What to look for in this report is this:

1711385546426.png

If the Full Charge is much less than the Design capacity , then you will need to change the battery. In this example, the report shows the battery is at 100% life. If say for example your report showed 38,115 mWh for design capacity, but 3,811 mWh for full charge capacity, then your battery at best is charge to 10% maximum, which would be about a couple of minutes of charge.

Last edited: