Power Supply Problem?

lordtreov

New Member
Ok so for about a week now my computer would crash under heavy load, and I put off doing anything about it till yesterday. Anyways I downloaded everest and sure enough my CPU was running really hot, like 55-60 C at or around idle. I opener it up and it was super dusty so I went and bought a can of compressed air and cleaned it out real good. Not sure if this has anything to do with my current problem, but after I hooked it back up and hit the power button I got the long beep indicating my RAM wasn't being recognized, so I just pulled the RAM out and then put it back in. On the next try I got the standard beep, but then it just sat at my BIOS loading screen, which lately my computers been sitting there for a while, like up to 30 sec., and then something inside just clicked and it shut off. After repeated attempts, in which it does the exact same thing, I've noticed I can tap the caps lock button on my keyboard and get the light to turn on and off, and then about 10-15 sec. in it becomes unresponsive. I've also gone into BIOS but I still lose keyboard responsiveness to quick to actually do anything. Does this sound like a power supply problem to you guys? I kinda went cheap with this power supply, its a Dynex, which does make me think its probably the source of my problems, but I'm sure some of you have way more experience than me diagnosing computer problems, so any helpful thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
It is true...cheap power supplies can cause all kinds of weird issues. I have seen computers with every issue you can think of be caused by power supplies not giving the correct amount of power.

It can also be caused by heat issues with your processor. Processors have a "safety switch" you could call it, it will shut down when it reaches a certain temp. Processors can overheat and shut down the system in just seconds and it will cause problems like you described. Maybe you bumped the processor cooler loose when you were cleaning the computer.

First I would clean it really good and apply new thermal compound to the processor.Take a soft bristle paint brush and lightly clean the components and blow with canned air. Then I would replace the power supply. You can get a nice unit for a good price these days.

Both of these things can be done for under $100 total and will more than likely solve the issues you are having.

Please post the system specs so we can point you in the right direction for an adequate power supply.
 
Has your p/s made any weird noises at all since this problem has been occurring? Or had any burning smells?

I agree with Scout, it is probably an issue with the cheap p/s so get that replaced asap.
 
It could be the PSU... However the BIOS freezing issues you mentioned reminded me of my overclocking troubles... it could also be the memory acting up. I'd suggest removing one stick of memory (if you have 2 or more) and seeing if that fixes anything.

If that does fix it, then i'd recommend flashing yuor BIOS to the latest version before putting the sticks back in.

Also, system specs would help a lot :)
 
Back
Top