Power supply temp?

TheBishop

I was given a HP Slimline PC and to me it gets too hot to the touch.

I installed another case cooling fan and it lowered the air coming out of the power supply a few degrees.

I installed just now CoreTemp and the max temp is running at 39-40C.

A little while ago the Coretemp went up to 60C on both cores at 100%

That seems normal but sometimes the case get hot to touch and right now the air coming out is at 43C or 111F. I have a digital temp gauge probe at the air outlet of the power supply.

How hot should the air be coming out of a power supply?

TheBishop

Can't see the psu brand or model, it's original to the HP, but since it's a slimline it takes up the entire case fom front to back.

The entrance grill is about 1.25 inch square and the out air grill is about 1.5 inch square.

To small to cool properly. The top of the case sometimes get very hot, hotter than I feel is normal but the system seems OK.

I'll let it run overnight and tomrrow and see if it locks up due to the overheating.

C4C

Pop open the case and clean out any dust with a can if compressed air... Dust always clogs up computers :(

TheBishop

I did that the day I picked it up. I'm still amazed at what comes out of a PC, game box and even a laptop everytime. I'm never worked on a clean PC or the like.

What I say about dust in electronics is removing the Fur Coat. All that dust can block air vents to critical areas and or covers critial items in a heavy fur coat.

Think of dust as wearing a heavy fur coat over your head, in the summertime in south louisiana without a coastal breeze.