Power-up problem

bbudesa

Just finished building first desktop with:

Antec 900 case
Antec BP550 PSU
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Mobo
AMD Phenom II processor

When turning power on with back panel switch, there is no power-up beep, and CPU remains on. Front panel switch doesn't turn it off, even when held down for 5-10 seconds.

Mobo led light is on.

Fans running well.

No video to monitor.

No smoke or sparks. ;o)

(Unrelated really, but power switch on front panel sticks in down position)

So, any guesses?

thanks,

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you put the standoffs in between the motherboard and case? Its most likely shorting out right now. Try taking the motherboard out of the case and setting it on some cardboard and assembling components and connecting everything and see if it will bootup properly. As far as the button sticking, replace the case.

Zatharus

VIP Member
It sounds like a dead motherboard if it won't post.

I am not familiar with the Antec 900 case's front power switch, but that doesn't sound normal either. Perhaps someone else here can chime in who has one.

bbudesa

All standoffs were in solidly, all assembly done on hardwood floor w/grounding - no static. Handled everything by it's edges.

I suppose I could dis-assemble and do it again with the motherboard outside the case to check for shorting.

Shorts - all cables and wires are plastic coated, and nothing appears to be shorting or touching something it shouldn't.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The mother board is behaving the same outside the case? Dead motherboard.

He hasn't assembled it outside the case yet. He was just saying that he had put the standoffs in and handled everything carefully.