Powerline Adapter Issue

I have a tp-link tl pa 4010 powerline adapter and randomly a couple of days ago, my internet on my desktop computer, suddenly stopped working.

I wonder if it was the powerline adapter. There is nothing wrong with the internet, checked that and it's fine on a tablet and on this phone I'm writing this post on obviously, internet is fine in my flat.

The powerline adapter has 3 lights on it, the middle one is unlit. The top one apparently shows power, the 2nd one is powerline connection and the third one is ethernet connection. The 2nd one (powerline connection) is unlit. EDIT - was unlit but now on trying again seems to be lighting up red on the one going to the computer. The adapter in my lounge doesn't light up at all.

I was thinking of buying another ethernet cable as the little plastic bit you have to hold in to plug it into the port on the computer end broke off ages ago. It was temperamental at first but I still got it to work and the internet connected fine to my computer till this happened a couple of days ago so was wondering if it was the ethernet cable but seeing as the ethernet light is lit up, I somehow don't think it's that.

Thanks.

beers

Staff member
I'd 'reboot' them with unplugging/plugging. You should be able to reach each adapter's management interface, if you aren't getting a sync light for the powerline leg then one of them may have offed itself.

I'd 'reboot' them with unplugging/plugging. You should be able to reach each adapter's management interface, if you aren't getting a sync light for the powerline leg then one of them may have offed itself.
So is that normal for one of the powerline adapters to stop working is it?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I used to have a few of these and they were mediocre at best and just ended up causing issues on the network so I stopped using them.

a.y.f

וthing to do its to check with a diffrent computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My WiFi is fine but it can't leap from my lounge to my bedroom lol! Do people think though that if there are no lights lighting up at all on the adapter in my lounge, then it's more than likely the adapter?
If there are zero lights on it, then the adapter is dead

DKenn

You can usually swap them round (change the order) to see if one is faulty.

Whilst they should work on a plug-and-play, I would suggest swapping them around, doing a reset on both, and then attempting to re-pair them (if your using secure pairing).