Pri/Sec DNS advice please

Gibson

Hi,

We have had 3 fibre lines (FTTC) installed and it goes into a Draytek Vigor 3300v Load Balancer. Now the IT guy that did it was useless so I have been asked to look into it and found we had 3 lines installed but only 1 turned on!!!

Anyway I have found that the DNS Pri and Sec both of 2 lines both have same IP (EG: PRI - 192.54.1.2 Sec - 123.456.789.0) and this is the same on both lines. The 3rd line doesn't work at all!

Are the DNS lines supposed to be the same on both? would you advise sticking the Fibre connections into a fibre router before the Vigor?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks alot
Joe

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Well the primary dns server listed there has an internal (private) ip address and is likely that of a server on your internal network. The secondary is that of a public dns server in case the internal one would go offline all the computers on your network would automatically try the second one when no response is gotten from the first one. This would enable people to get online in the event of an internal server failure. It's fine that they are the same. I would have them the same. The most I would do is to make the secondary different on each connection. I would leave the primary on all the connections the same. Active directory on a windows server relies on dns services so if you change it things might break.