Problem during vista reinstallation...

massahwahl

VIP Member
Well I'm attempt three to reinstall vista and each time (tried with both dvdroms now) the installation gets over halfway done then an error pops up saying that the files could not be found! What in the world would be causing this? It almost seems like my disc drives are falling asleep or something...

atentora

Smack the awake again?

But I've had this error before with both windows XP and Ubuntu installations. The problem was the disk. But that might not be your problem. Hope it isn't...

I'm not to sure about Vista DVDs, so this may be stupid, but does it allow you to run the OS right off the CD? (Live CD? it's to early >_<). Or, if you think the drives are dying in the middle of installation, maybe try loading a different OS and seem what happens.

bullzi

Check your HD and RAM, having issues with installations can prove to be bad ram and/or a failing HD.

bullzi

He said it worked though... :confused:

Right. When a harddrive is failing it relocates failed sectors to healthy sectors. Those sectors might have been relocated and deemed "relocation events". It's just a possibility, however behavior such as this (from my experience) usually points towards a failing HD.

It's also possible that it was just a glitch, it happens often with Vista. I'm just saying it's worth taking the time to get your HD checked out before it completely fails, if its in good shape no harm done, if it's failing, well you can guess the rest. ;)