problem with ram

FalKon

ok i just bought a new stick of 512 SDR from newegg, my old one is 256 SDR. when i put the new one in my computer kinda turns on halfassdly, usually the power button is green but its an amber color and my monitor wont work. theres power to the monitor but it doesnt click on. it happens whenever the new stick is in either combo with the old one or seperatly. ive asked 2 people that know a good amount about it and their not sure what the problem is

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Does the older one still work?
2. POwer = amber usually means suspend ... is the mobo is some kinda suspend mode?

FalKon

yes the old one works thank god. and yea i think that it is in suspend but ive never had it happen untill i put the 512 in. if i have both in or only the 512 it doesnt work, but when i put the 256 back in by its self it works fine

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What mobo do you have? Older/cheaper mobos sometimes have slot-limits (i.e., you can only put up to a given size of memory stick into a given slot) ... sounds like what you've run into here :)

kof2000

SDR? is not so dimm is it i think if it is you'll need to install them in pairs or something like 2x512 or something. unless ur limit is below that then you'll need 2x256.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
SDR? is not so dimm is it I think if it is you'll need to install them in pairs or something like 2x512 or something
SDR came as DIMMs :) (i.e., PC100/133/142/150 etc)

FalKon

i beleive it is OptiPlex GX150, i was checking out a site and it said max is 512 so i dont know why its not working

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i was checking out a site and it said max is 512 so I dont know why its not working
Check more specifically for the slot limits. I suspect you have a slot limitation of 256 ... 256 per slot x 2 slots = 512MB total (which is what the site will say)