Problem with windows 98

ArtOfAccuracy

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this but im on a laptop with one of those stupid pad's for a mouse and im sick of using it so im posting here. Apart from the laptop im using, I have a PC desktop comp with windows 98 installed, I'd give you the specs but I dont really think it matters. Yesterday my computer was being choppy (like something was trying to load like spyway or something) while i was playing a game so. I restarted the comp for the first time in a while today and now all my settings are reset, like it reverted to default or something. The monitor size is back to the regular 650 x whatever instead of the 850 i had it on .. the colors are back to 16 bit .. except now ... my mouse wont work!!!
its like ... everything got reset and my computer went retarded. I logged into safe mode and the mouse works in there but I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Maybe someone here could help me? If you need any other info just ask. I dont think its a virus but im not 100% sure ... I think its just windows being retarded. Is there a general "setting" besides "users" that contains all the info about monitor size ... colors ... mouse icon ... sounds ... and all the other personal settings in one? because these things all get reset at once, so if I put them back to what they were one by one i feel like i would be wasting time, when there's probably one big thing i can revert back to, I dont know maybe this isnt the case. Anyway I gota write 3 papers tonight and without a mouse it will be pretty tough so any help appreciated. Thanks

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking the only way is to reset each setting one by one

about using the touchpad, why not just plug an external mouse in

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Prodigo2k ... if you're gonna suggest crap like that ... suggest it to a garbage can. Not this forum. As for my suggestion, have a look at the forum rules.

i'd give you the spECS but I don't really think it matters.
lets have those spECS :)

i logged into safe mode and the mouse works in there but I couldn't figure out what the problem was.
log in normaally, goto device manager and uninstall the mouse/pad that's there . . reboot the machine and have it redetect:)

ArtOfAccuracy

Thank you, my bad for posting in the wrong area. I dont know what prodigy 2 k is but I didnt do it. What specs do you need? Like I said this laptop is a different computer from the one that is "broken". I dont care about the mouse on this laptop so an external mouse is nor appealing nor realistic to me because this is a Mac and my broken comp is a PC. Thanks for help. Does anyone know why my computer would do that ... randomly revert to older settings that used to be. I once had the "Robotica" sounds for my desktop or whatever is it. I shut them off after about 2 weeks but once when it reverted to an older setting, it reprogrammed all the robitica settings again and i lost the settings that I had. So, Anyone know why this keeps happening? Its a windows 98 .. NEVERMIND I JUST FIXED IT AND IT WORKS. THANK YOU

ArtOfAccuracy

Ok thanks to your help I got the mouse working and I'm back on this PC. Something is definetaly wrong with the hardware though I just tried to change the colors from 16 colors to 16 bit(high) and it says I need to restart, which it never does, usually it just changes them for me. But when I restart it doesn't change anything at all. Its like its stuck on these stupid settings. These are the default settings for the computer by the way (16 colors .. 640 x 480 pixels .. etc) and its stuck on them after it reverted to them. As for specs it says Microsecond Computers... AuthenticAMD ... AMD-K6(tm) 3d Processor and 128.00 MB of ram. On another topic, I installed an extra like 60 ram a while ago into my computer and now making it like 194 i think it was, and now its back to 128. Apparently it reverted to those settings too. Its like its not recognizing any of my old settings, I have no clue why it would do that. Anyway now I want to change color and monitor size to 800 x 600 pixels but it says i need to restart if i want to do that(usually just lets me) and even when I restart it doesnt change. Im not sure what settings in hardware manager to uninstall so that when I restart it recognizes the new ones. Again,any help appreciated. Thanks.

Doomshot

This thing that you talk about happens when ever my computer starts slowing down. When you restarts it activates a safe mode. The only way I have foud to correct the problem is to re install windows and re install your graphics driver. I'm sorry but I have of yet to find an better way.