Problems after adding new hard drive

Turbo

Hello all,
I have a problem with my computer that so far no one has been able to figure out. I have a homemade (not by me) computer with a 120 GB Maxtor Serial ATA hard-drive. After seeing ads in the newspaper, I bought a Maxtor 250 GB :) hard drive from Best Buy. After hooking up the 250 hard drive where one of my CD drives was, the computer cannot find the serial hard drive. I have Windows XP on the 250 hard drive now, but the other hard drive has all my files that I want, but cannot boot from or get to. I have adjusted the CMOS and BIOS settings every possible way, but still there is no detection. I downloaded Maxtor's PowerMax to find the hard drive, but it still won't work. This computer is only three months old and has run on the 120 hard drive for that whole time, so everyone I talk to at college doesn't know what is going on here. Thanks in advance,
Matt

jesbax

make sure the hard drive is set to the right selection. for example primary is set master which is your hd and the other is set to slave(hd or cd-rom) and make sure your secondary is set the same way. On the lable of the drives has the setting for each setting.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have adjusted the CMOS and BIOS settings every possible way, but still there is no detection
Whats the mobo? What happens if you disconnect the Maxtor 250

Turbo

Praetor,
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro. If I disconnect the Maxtor 250 the computer displays the message "disk boot error, insert system disk and press enter". The jumpers are set to have the 120 as master and the 250 as slave, so that isn't the problem. Now, to top it all off, my keyboard is not working, and I have determined that it is the computer that is malfunctioning. I have tried Device Manager with no help there. I am running out of stuff that could go wrong.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The jumpers are set to have the 120 as master and the 250 as slave
Thats your problem because you said....
I have a homemade (not by me) computer with a 120 GB Maxtor Serial ATA hard-drive
But the thing is, SATA drives dont have this concept of "Master" or "Slave" -- sounds like you have a Maxtor 120GB PATA drive -- make sure there arent master-slave collisions.

Turbo

The 250 is set to slave, as for the 120, it has no jumper settings shown, so doing any possible combination does nothing. Am I to the point to take it in somewhere? :mad: All I want is to boot off the 120 and move music to the 250, but the local computer place doesn't have the capability to handle a 250 gig drive :rolleyes:

Turbo

Sorry, but all of this is moot now, as I have all my installation CDs, but my keyboard still isn't being detected. Is there anything else I can try to get it back?

Turbo

That's done, now I have to visually inspect the PS2 socket to look for damage, that is about the only thing left to look for before I buy a USB keyboard

Turbo

I had to get an adapter from RadioShack--PS2 to USB. They have everything--in stock even :) Now the keyboard works fine. I have decided to give up on the old hard drive for now and concentrate on getting everything else to work. After that I might try doing a BIOS update. Thank you everyone for your time.
Matt