Problems installing xp on laptop without cd or fdd

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
I dont think ghosting it would do anything. He's already tried doing a complete install on another system and bringing the HD over.

artnutsclub

have i done it or what

If so my question concerns banners.I have made a banner and have it save d in my Pictures.I need to put it on aqnother website and they want the banner's URL.How do I do this?I beg your assistance

tractorboy

ghost will not work you still need a cdrom or dvd drive.

I would get a notebook 2.5 HD to PC desktop IDE adapter $10 - $12.
connect your notebook HD up as master in the primary chan. Boot off the xp
cd ( to install xp) , XP has tWo phases to the setup , text and gui. You want to do the text part in the desktop and the gui ( graphical user interface ) part in the notebook. The gui part is when your drivers are detected. Just pray that your notebookS nic ... or actually ALL your hardware drivers are built into XP. You will have to go to the manufacturer of your notebook for any drivers not built into xp. A pent 3 I would thick, xp should have the drivers, maybe not for the pcmcia slot or something like that.

tractorboy

I think It may work, it all hinges on , when you put the the hd back in the notebook, xp may need to access the xp cdrom. I think it might. Just to be on the safe side , you could create a second partition and put I386 from the xp cd. Later you can delete the I386 and the partition, then use something like partition magic to combine the 2 parts into one part.. oh wait , that would not work no cdrom drive.... how are you going to install any programs, through a network connection ?

Monster

Yes i´m going to use a network connection so that aint he problem right now..but using trying to use the three phases of the installation is not a solution to my problem as it doesnt seem to recognize the ntldr...but thanks for trying...keep on rubbing the smart ones!!

tractorboy

I am thinking that the reason you are getting ntldr is missing is for some reason boot.ini is pointing to the wrong partition, did you look in the bios and make sure the first boot device is set for the hd ?

Monster

I have checked the the bios settings. It got the latest (well, latest release although) version. And the boot priority is all looking good. Looking into the boot.ini file le it's all pointing to partition 1 which i think should be c: ?
It´s also pointing to the windows catalog and for me it looks like a standard boot.ini file....

I tried to install the windows me os today just to see if i could make the system running in any milieu but when the setup had started it all hanged after the file-copying...strange!!

I begin to believe that the hdd is faulty...but strange enough the hdd will install in another computer....and another hdd won't do in this laptop as it shows the same message 'ntldr is missing'

Could it be some problem with the ram? how could i test that in that case?

Super_Nova

Run fdisk with the /mbr switch. like this:

fdisk /mbr

Fdisk will not open, however it will re-write your master boot record. Also, check to see if your partition is set active. To do this go back in to Fdisk, choose "display partition information" which is on this menu:
fdisk_7_info.jpg

And see if status has an "A" under it like this:

fdisk_8_info.jpg

If it does not problem solved. Go back to the previous menu and choose "set active partition".

If it does then that's not your problem.

However this, and the /mbr switch would be my first tries.

tractorboy

if you think it is the HD , most if not all the HD vendors have free diag floppy based tools to diag the HD on their web sites under support