problems installing xp

bryanf445

alright i have a comp in my room (2.4 ghz 256 mb ram, 30 gb hd)

well the problem is everytime i try and load xp and when i get to the part where i have to choose between the NTFS quick, FAT quick, NTFS, or FAT i choose NTFS quick. i chose NTFS.after it tells me it has to restart. no big problem right? well after that it goes right back to the beginning of the installation where it says "system is testing your hardware " and if i reboot without the disc it says boot disk failure....wtf???

ive even tried disabling the cdrom in the boot sequence and still its messed up

how do i get to the gui part of the installation, no matter what i do it never lets me get to the next part??? what could be the problem???

ive tried 2 differnt harddrives, and both win xp pro and home, and still the same problem!

Sheeta

it could be restarting the installation because the bios are set to boot from CD/DVD drive, i have had this problem before, if you catch the bios during the restart and then change the boot order to you primary master hard drive (or whereever you are installing XP) then it should boot from there and continue the installation.

fachim

Dear Sheta,

Normally for first installation (you have no any OS run on your harddisk) you install it from cd-rom, so set your BIOS for boot from CD-ROM and try to use FAT32, I recommend it if you have single user. It's dangerous if you forgot your Admin password and you may not access your harddisk unless you reformat it.

After Installer re-boot it usually copying the file from cd-rom to start installing Windows but it can directly pointing it to your harddisk and continue installation, you can change the boot from your harddisk partition after installation complete.

I guest the problem in your hardware that make it always checking the hardware, so try to contact your vendor.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
k, the easiest thing to do is when its rebooting, dont press ANYTHING it will skip the cd bott and boot from the next device, which should be the hard drive, then it will take you into the rest on the installation