Problems w/Router on DSL network

gizZzmo333

Hi.

I have a ADSL connection and zoom modem. Plugging Ethernet cable directly from modem to laptop works no problems 100%

I went out and bought a Linksys WRT54G2 wireless G router. I went thru all the non-sense on the setup cd to configure my router. I chose PPPoE connection (which is what my ISP provides), logged in with correct USER/PW, selected a few other options such as enable DHCP, 'Keep Alive' connection, 120 seconds redial peroid etc.

I enabled wireless security and had no problems connecting my laptop to the wireless network. Problem is, after I connect to the network and enter in the correct key, the 'internet' never comes thru. My 'status' for the wireless connection always shows very few packets received but many packets sent (ex: 2730 packets sent / 7 packets received) even though my signal strength is rated as 'excellent' and i am successfully connected to the router.

I have heard that I must set my router to 'bridge mode', or set my modem to bridge mode and then enable PPPoE thru the router... I have tried both and still seem to get internet thru.

Does anyone have any suggestions that they think might help? thanks very much

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
With DSL its kinda hit or miss. Sometimes you can just hook up a router to the modem and get internet without doing anything. Other times you have to use the setup cd to acquire settings from the modem and network to configure the router. Other times you have to put your modem in bridged mode and enable pppoe in your router and enter user name and password.

The only thing I can suggest is to try each way and then turn both modem and router off, turn modem back on and let it sync up to where all lights are on that need to be and then turn router on and let it sync up and try browsing the web. A lot of users forget about rebooting the modem and router, especially if you have to change it to bridged mode in the modem and set up pppoe in router.