Problems with MS Paint

MonkeyVsRobot

Hello everyone.
I am trying to open MS Paint in Windows XP. When I do I get the message:
"Paint has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" and then it tries to tell Microsoft about.
I have tried restarting, opening from the system32 file and run, uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing seems to work.

I know its not a major problem but its really bugging me.
Any suggestions that don't involve the xp cd (i dont have it!) would be brilliant.

Cheers,
Alex.

Fure6

i have had a problem with paint also! i have it on the top of the start menu, and last week it said it couldn't find the link or the link wasn't there or somthing, so didn't know what to do. i came back later and then it was back up.

MonkeyVsRobot

Ive been having this problem for or month or so now and it doesn't seem to be sorting its self out. Ive searched on the internet and it seems a lot of people seem to have this problem.

I tried using the "add/remove windows components" option in control panel and that doesnt help.

Any ideas anyone?

MonkeyVsRobot

Thats my main problem, i dont have the operating system CD. Sony didn't supply me with any of the windows Cds just system recover cds.

Thanks anyway.

Alin.s

those sytem recovery cds. those contain the os. it will restore your pc to when it was at the store you bought it at.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
those sytem recovery cds. those contain the os. it will restore your pc to when it was at the store you bought it at.
Yes but that would mean losing all the stuff accomplished since then... you *could* try copying the paint executable and potentially any DLLs associated with from a friends computer or something

darkd3vil

you could also save all important documents/installer things to a cd or 2 and then reboot it back up to when u first got it. thats all i got

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah but all this seems a tad drastic "just to get MS Paint" heehee ... you sure there isnt another free app you can use? :)

MonkeyVsRobot

Its getting on my nerves so much that i have considered it! But havnt yet.
I tried copying the exe from another computer but still got the same message, i dont know what these dll's you speak of are!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i dont know what these dll's you speak of are
LOL i dont know either, I've stripped Paint from my computer and from the installation ... so i dunno.

"Paint has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"
What other processes are running in the background?

MonkeyVsRobot

I have 47 processes running at the momemnt. I think a few are from AOL but a lot of have no idea. Is there any processes i should be looking out for, that might be causing the problems?

MonkeyVsRobot

Well we have.......

WebRebates1.exe
WebRebates0.exe
ALG.EXE
WANMPSVC.EXE
SPOOLSV.EXE
GEARSEC.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE (quite a few times)
PcfMgr.exe
CSRSS.EXE
WJVIEW.EXE
QTTASK.EXE
CMESys.EXE
DW.EXE
HKServ.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
ATIPTAXX.EXE
ASM.EXE
RUNDELL32.EXE

Any ideas?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
WebRebates - spyware
ALG - application layer gateway (safe)
WANMPSVC - Wan miniport (ATW) service (safe)
SPOOLSV - Printer Spooler Service (safe)
GEARSEC - "GearSec.exe" ia a engine which is used to copy DVDs",CDs", etc. GEAR Software's recording engine is used in several other products (ok if you're running/got GEAR apps)
SVCHOST - Service Host Process (safe although there are technicalities, they are minor ones)
PcfMgr - Power management application in the system tray for )Sony VAIO computers). (safe)
CRSS - Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem (safe)
WJVIEW - Command line utility tool from Microsoft to view window-based Java applications. (safe)
QTTASK - Quick Time Tray Icon (disable the quicktime tray thing, it uses resources and is in general CRAP)
CMESys - Gator GAIN Adware (BAD)
DW - DownloadWare (your call, I wouldnt trust this on my comp)
HKServ - Sony’s Hotkey Server (safe)
SynTPEnh - System tray access for Synaptics touch pads (safe)
SynTPLpr - Related to Synaptics touch pads. (safe)
ATIPTAXX - ATI Utilitiy (safe)
ASM - spyware or legit coding application (odds are it's the spyware you've got)
RUNDELL32 - if you made a type and it should be RUNDELL32 then you're ok, otherwise this is bad. Either way you can delete this process 90% of the time

Clear out the crap in there and we'll go from there

MonkeyVsRobot

First off... did you know what all of those were? If so im well impressed if not is there some kind of dictionary out there?

Anyway... to the point. Ended all the processes you didn't think were safe but still no luck.

Ill tell you one thing that I just remembered....The problems all started when i downloaded a jpg from a website and tried to set it as my wallpaper. Could that be anything to do with it? Ive since deleted the file but made no difference.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
is there some kind of dictionary out there?
Prolly but after dealing with computers for awhile you just learn it and memorize it

The problems all started when I downloaded a jpg from a website and tried to set it as my wallpaper. Could that be anything to do with it?
Yeah the site might have dropped a trojan on your system in the process :)

MonkeyVsRobot

The swines. It wasn't a backstreet website. It was for quite a big band.

Oh well i think ive wasted enough off both of our time with such a trivial problem!

Thanks for all your effort, it is really appreciated.
Its good to know that there are people out there who don't mind giving up their time to help others out.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Oh well I think ive wasted enough off both of our time with such a trivial problem!
Trivial my ass :p If it was trivial we wouldnt have a problem now would we? :p

Thanks for all your effort, it is really appreciated.
Its good to know that there are people out there who don't mind giving up their time to help others out.
Not a problem, glad to help :)