Processor problems

FireDrow

Ok just built a new computer two days ago. I installed everything and got it up and running. When I right-clicked on My Computer and looked at the processor speed, it said I was only running 1.1 Ghz on my AMD Athlon XP 3200+. I should be running 2.2 GHz. When I went into my BIOS, my FSB was only at 100 instead of 200 MHz. But I don't see a setting to change the FSB speed. The mobo has a Phoenix-Award BIOS. Does anyone know how to up my FSB? Would uping the clock speed accomplish this? The clock speed can be changed from 100 -> 133.

Biostar iDeq M7VBA Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
512 RAM
MSI nVidia FX5700 w/ 128 RAM
Maxtor 80 gig SATA HDD

FireDrow

kharmini91

AMD Processors are rated in ghz on AMD's standards, not Intel's standards. I have an Athlon XP 1.6 ghz which is the equivilent speed of a 2.0 ghz Intel.

FireDrow

I realize that AMD and Intel have different standards. AMD rates its 3200+ at 2.2 GHz. It was rated against the P4s running 2.8 and 3.0 GHz.

4W4K3

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
maybe ur memory is pc 2700 then it wont run at 800fsb u need pc3200

the "max" default fsb for AMD is 400fsb, not 800. but anyways...there should be a place in the BIOS where you can adjust FSB manually. if there isnt or ots greyed out then you will probably need to flash to a diff BIOS OR (if yyour mombo is really old) there might be a jumper on the mobo itself you need to switch to a diff setting to enable the BIOS to give you that option. i searched for your perticualr board and couldnt find anything...even ion the biostar website. not sure if maybe you typed it wrong?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD Processors are rated in ghz on AMD's standards, not Intel's standards. I have an Athlon XP 1.6 ghz which is the equivilent speed of a 2.0 ghz Intel.
AMD systems are rated by "Performance Rating" not gigahertz -- same as intel now (of course the two companies have arbitrary ways of coming up with numbers)

maybe ur memory is pc 2700 then it wont run at 800fsb u need pc3200
It'll run. It might not be ideal but it will run.

the "max" default fsb for AMD is 400fsb, not 800
Well... to be anally-retentively picky, their FSB runs at 200Mhz -- 400DDR. And even more (or is it less) with the A64s.... 1Ghz :)