processors technologys for laptops

endymion

processors technologys for laptops?

Hi ppl

i need a new laptop for my self and when i start looking for it, i realized that im not "updated" in new processors technologys. Thas why i need your opinions about some of them:

Pentium 4;
Pentium 4-M;
Centrino;
AMD.

The specification of the laptop im looking for is something like this:

OS: Windows XP (no time to learn about another one :( )
Processor: AMD ; Pentium 4 ; Pentium 4-M ; Centrino
Processor speed: 2.0 - 3.2
RAM: 512 MB - 1 GB
hard drive: 60 - 100 GB
drives: DVD±RW

Last edited:

Yojimbo

I was in the same situation as you, not too long ago. As I was looking for laptop, and not a portable desktop, my eyes fixed on the Pentium M processor. The PM Processor is created for laptops. Their speed vary from 1.0 - 2.2 GHz at the moment, but their performance is about their speed x 1.5. At least that's what I've read.

I bought an HP nx7010 with a 1.8 GHz PM processor, and I love it. I didn't need a gaming PC, but still, I wanted to have more functionality than just the basics. I got it all, in a relatively small form factor. You should check it out.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Pentium 4;
Pentium 4-M;
Centrino;
AMD
Pentium4 = they took a desktop chip and shoved it into a mobile platform. Heat and power issues. Newer revisions have Hyperthreading etc so they function exactly like desktops (usually uber-books pack full desktop procs like this). Features First Generation Speedstep and max FSB=200Mhz

Pentium4-M = Stripped down desktop chip to deal with heat and power issues, no hyperthreading, adds Second generation Speedstep, max FSB = 100Mhz

Pentium-M = Redesigned (based off the Pentium3) mobile platform, very clock efficient, no hyperthreading, no hyperhtreading, Third Generation Speedstep, very little heat/power issues, max FSB = 133Mhz

AMD AthlonXP-M = Stripped down desktop AthlonXPs, unlocked multiplier but at a cost of a max FSB = 133Mhz (down from 166Mhz), equivalent of 2nd generation speedstep

AMD Athlon64[M] = Full desktop chips but usually -200Mhz (so if a desktop model clocks at 2Ghz, the same mobile will have 1.8GHz), clock efficient, adds 64bit support, hypertransport, not quite 3rd generation "speedstep" but certainly more than 2nd generation

Centrinos are good for laptops.
Centrino is the wireless solution associated with the Pentium-M processor. They are not processors :)

endymion

Thanks Praetor :) ...
In conlcusion, which processor do you recomend me?

I need the Laptop to make some university projects, see videos, play games, use internet ,listen music and a little bit of programation.

Bobo

banned
endymion said:
but which are the best manufacturers (HP, Sony, Acer, Toshiba).

It is mostly your choice, off the top of my head I can't thinkk of any "bad" laptop companies, but I always have liked Acer

pepper7615

I don't normally like Compaq but I have a Compaq Presario P4, ATI 9000mobile. I love it, I am in college, and it does everything I need, Game, school work, Wireless work, etc. I would recommend this as anyones college laptop