Promblemo with sound card ?!!

Alex.

banned
I recently bought a 'Creative sound blaster audigy se' sound card, ive fitted and it works fine, untill i try and connect to the internet ??
i have a dial-up connection and when its half way through connecting the computer will slow down ALOT go all jumpy then restart its self :confused: then when it comes back on its has a little gray box sayin ' this computer has recoverd a serius error'

this only happens when i try to connect to the internet while im playing music (regardless of what software its using to play)

PLEASE help me cos i am sick as a parrot :)

Last edited:

Alex.

banned
and when you go to device manager the is a red cross next to
bluetooth pan network adaptor (wtf is that)
&
bluetooth av/hs audio (wtf is that)

PC eye

banned
The red mark seen in the device manager shows that a device is disabled. A definition of what hardwares are disabled are as follows.
Bluetooth

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

sdef_definition.gif
- Bluetooth is a telecommunications industry specification that describes how mobile phones, computers, and personal digital assistants (PDAs) can be easily interconnected using a short-range wireless connection. Using this technology, users of cellular phones, pagers, and personal digital assistants can buy a three-in-one phone that can double as a portable phone at home or in the office, get quickly synchronized with information in a desktop or notebook computer, initiate the sending or receiving of a fax, initiate a print-out, and, in general, have all mobile and fixed computer devices be totally coordinated.
http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci211680,00.html

Apparently a previously installed hardware still has drivers being loaded. Make sure your onboard sound is disabled as well if the board has that. When in the device manager you choose the uninstall option by right clicking on any item seen there if you no longer have it installed. Those are for wireless devices seen there.

ADE

banned
Maybe there is driver conflict. Does it ever say something like "IE has encountered a problum and needs to close-send error report?" or what ever browser you use? If you ever get that send the error report. It will tell you exactly whats wrong.

PC eye

banned
The description about seeing this only when going to connect online could point at the modem pulling a little too much power from the pci bus. That would see a power drop for the sound card at that time. This was another way to look at this. Either that or the supply is not stable. When you go to dial up your connection the supply is drawn down at that point. The error message seems to point at a hardware more then software problem.

Alex.

banned
The red mark seen in the device manager shows that a device is disabled. A definition of what hardwares are disabled are as follows.
Bluetooth

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

sdef_definition.gif
- Bluetooth is a telecommunications industry specification that describes how mobile phones, computers, and personal digital assistants (PDAs) can be easily interconnected using a short-range wireless connection. Using this technology, users of cellular phones, pagers, and personal digital assistants can buy a three-in-one phone that can double as a portable phone at home or in the office, get quickly synchronized with information in a desktop or notebook computer, initiate the sending or receiving of a fax, initiate a print-out, and, in general, have all mobile and fixed computer devices be totally coordinated.
http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci211680,00.html

Apparently a previously installed hardware still has drivers being loaded. Make sure your onboard sound is disabled as well if the board has that. When in the device manager you choose the uninstall option by right clicking on any item seen there if you no longer have it installed. Those are for wireless devices seen there.

I still have my Sound chip thing which was alredy built into my computer enabeld, but since the new card woudlnt work with the internet on i set the 'VIA AC'97' as my default sound player.

u reckon if i disabled it from the BIOS then i wudnt have a problem with using my new card?

PC eye

banned
When installing a pci type sound card you disable the onboard to avoid any problems that will come up from resource conflicts. You wondered why sound was cutting out when you were going online. With the onboard clashing with the Audigy SE plus more power then being drawn by the modem you were pulling power away from the card itself. At that point the three hardwares are competing for system resources that aren't there. Disable the onboard and try the card again. Then go online to see what happens.

ADE

banned
Maybe you dont have thre right version on PCI. If it uses PCI 2.2 and he has 2.1, well you get my point.

PC eye

banned
With the onboard sound enabled you will mostly see noticable problems on any board. Adding to that Sound Blaster model cards are noted for being a little "resource hungry" especially with multimedia and games. Yet with speakers connected to the onboard no problems all of a sudden? I could run an SB 16bit on the Socket 939 model board here until enabling the onboard and installing the needed drivers. But let's see how this works when the onboard is switched off. A last thought is XP's resource sharing is causing some type of conflict. That is still possible while having the onboard active is the most likely here.

Alex.

banned
i disabled the onboard one and it still has the same problem, it works perfect on anything untill i try to connect to the internet :s

PC eye

banned
What make and model modem are you running? Just being on a dialup connection should have nothing to do with the problem there. A faulty modem could explain a few things if trying a different combination of slots doesn't correct this.

Alex.

banned
the modem is a 'Generic Soft56k' I have the sound card right underneath the modem atm, if i move it down a slot it might sort it out u think ?

ADE

banned
Hay, I have to keep me Ethernet card away from MY sound card. Makes a funny noise that doesn't make me laugh if ya know what I mean.... Pulse if the speaker cable jack rubs on the ground its not pretty.....

PC eye

banned
the modem is a 'Generic Soft56k' I have the sound card right underneath the modem atm, if i move it down a slot it might sort it out u think ?

Ouch! With a US Robotics 56k you simply throw it in an XP will install the drivers right there. If you have an extra pci slot free(3rd slot?) try moving the modem to the last slot. If you still have sound problems XP's resource sharing has been known to cause with the sound card in the first slot. If the board has 4 or more pci slots like the older style boards(Socket A - P2-P3) you are in good shape to move the sound card to the 2nd slot.

Alex.

banned
I moved the sound card dwn a slot and then it just wudnt work at all!
I think i will just use it for things off the internet, cos i have to. lol

PC eye

banned
When you moved it did you also remove the current drivers and allow Windows to detect the card as a new hardware? Windows would have to reassign resources as well as redetect the card itself as a new hardware found. If that doesn't work you could have a defect with the card itself. But removing the present installation to allow it to redetected would be the thing to try now.

Alex.

banned
yeah i removed all traces of the card then changd the slot it was in, it found the hardware and everything but half way through copy'ing the files needed for it - it wud say 'files cound not be transferrd' somthing lyk tht i cant rememba now

PC eye

banned
Sometimes you have to ignore the hardware found to install everything after Windows loads fully. Don't panic about that. Simply go into the device manager and look under sound and game controllers. Anything with a yellow exclaimation mark next to it will probably be for the sound card.

Simply right click on any found there and browse the installation disk for the XP driver folder. Windows will then copy and install from there. The card's software can also do this for you as well. But after either method you will need to restart the system in order to see the drivers load.

Alex.

banned
yeah i oredy know that (thnx anyway tho)
it dnt matter cos i moved it bck to its original slot and its workin fine part from when i use the internet.