Proxy check

slavcho

Hello dear friends. I was doing some research for proxy and vpn checkers and i figured out that some tests are done by some sites to recognize if some ip address is proxy or not. This are the most common tests that are done by the sites, servers etc.: rDNS ( this is reverse DNS check), Tor Test (whether someone is using Tor or not), Loc Test (Checks the geolocation providers), Header Test (Checks the headers in the HTTP request), DNSBL Test (Checks DNSBL's for open http proxies) and WIMIA test. My question is what does WIMIA test do? What is the purpose of WIMIA? Is it a proxy blacklist or something? Can someone explain me? Thanks a lot

Agent Smith

It looks like a propitiatory API (Application Program Interface) that whatsmyipaddress uses to see if the same IP is used from more than one person thereby indicating that the IP is indeed a proxy sharing service.

slavcho

Ok thanks. And is there a possibility to implement this test to a website or enterprise application? Also, do this test disfigures/lowers/threatens your privacy? If the WIMIA test is positive then the use of the proxy/vpn is useless according to me.. What is your opinion? Thanks

Agent Smith

WIMIA is just going to know if you use a VPN or proxy, so it won't unmask your real IP if that's what you are after. The API might be closed source. So I think only whatsmyipaddress uses it.

I take that back. In the case of some proxies, your real IP can be exposed. A VPN would be a lot better.