Psu Rail Ratings

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey I always ask too many questions but would like to ask the following. I have a QTEC 550 watt power supply. There were no problems with it so far but I was wondering whether it is normal to see minor fluctuations once in a while. I mean the ratings are the following.

3.36 for the 3.3 volt rail.
4.97 for the 5 volt rail.
12.12 for the 12 volt rail.

Now the only ones that sometimes fluctuate slightly are the 5 and 12 volt rails. I mean the 12 goes from the general 12.12 to 12.18. And the 5 goes from the general 4.97 to 5 straight? What's causing this. Note that I have no stability problems whatsoever.

JAN ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There were no problems with it so far but I was wondering whether it is normal to see minor fluctuations once in a while
You'll always have fluctuations.

What's causing this
Nothing is "causing" anything. Thats just how electricity and circuitry is

:)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Danke...

Thanx man. I am sattisfied now. You always solve my probs with like two sentences and you are right! Thanx again. :)

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Glad I could help :) What you might want to look into is whether or not the rails fluctate significantly when doing intensive operations and such :)

joker420

mine fluctuate alot during idle and even more with heavy tasking and ive been told this is why my comp freezes when i play games how do i make it so they dont fluctuate alot so my comp will work right.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
mine fluctuate alot during idle and even more with heavy tasking and ive been told this is why my comp freezes when I play games how do I make it so they dont fluctuate alot so my comp will work right.
By getting a new PSU ... like i mean you *could* start replacing capacitors and inductors but thats not advised :p

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Qtec

I have a Qtec by the way. It's a 550watt version and fluctuates rarely at all. I am glad to hear that fluctuation occurs naturally within a small range. Good.

JAN :)