PSU voltages

JLuchinski

OK so I've been having problems with random lockups and I've been thinking it might be my PSU, the one in my sig. I sat for 20 minutes watching the voltages in the BIOS and I read the following: CPU 1.432 volts, 3:3 fluctuates between 3.254 and 3.96 volts and 12 stays at 12.192 volts. Is that stable? I don't have a clue to what any of this means so any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to run Memtest all night to rule out my RAM hopefully.

JLuchinski

OK so I ran Memtest all night and there were no errors. I downloaded Speed Fan and these are my voltage readings. Is it just me or is 6.71 volts out of 12 volts a bad thing? I don't know anything about these readings so someones input would be greatly appreciated. :good:
:Edit: Dammit why did that turn out so small? Anyways the readings are as follows: 3vsb: 3.41v, vbat: 0.00v, +12v: 6.71v, AVcc: 3.30v, 3Vcc: 3.28v, VIN1: 1.01v, VIN2: 2.04v, VIN3: 0.00v, Vcore: 1.22v, +3.3V: 3.30v, +5V: 5.04v, +12V: 12.19v.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well the voltages in your first post are fine. What do you mean in your second post in, is 6.71 volts out of 12V?

Install PC Wizard and see what the P/S voltages are reading.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I normally dont fool with speed fan, but your voltages on the right seems ok. Dont have any idea what the +12V/6.71 means. If it was at some point it dropped to 6.71V, thats not good.

JLuchinski

OK so PC Wizard is telling me this, 7.03 on the 12v. I'm guessing that's bad?

Last edited:

JLuchinski

OK thanks. So would that explain the random freezing? I'm going to pick up a new PSU today. What is the best kind that you would recommend for $100?

StrangleHold

Staff member
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 760W, not the MKII series
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 or CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M
SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W
XFX Core Edition PRO750W or XFX PRO750W XXX

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What store do you go to get your computer parts? I would pick a good antec or corsair unit.

JLuchinski

Awesome, thanks. It's not modular but oh well. There has been a lot of construction going on in my area as well as a lot of power outages so I suspect that is what has caused my PSU to fail. Looks like it's time to invest in a UPS as well.