Purchase Decision - Help!

klivingen

Hello all,

I am a college student about to enter Grad School, and I am going to purchase a laptop computer in order to make school easier on myself. I have a good bit of money saved up, and am prepared to spend up to $3K on this computer, as I want to keep it for some time afterwards.

I want to use for class, with papers and so forth, and would have to have it be wireless internet capable. I also do a fair bit of programming with Visual C++/Basic. But I would also like a computer that can:

- Edit videos
- Play games
- Burn DVD's

I have heard more than a few people touting the many advantages of MAC computers. Should I get a MAC? A PC? Who should I buy from? What kind of computer is right for me? What is the meaning of life? Help!

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, for editing videos, a Mac would be very good. However for playing games they aren't as good as a PC. Burning DVDs, about equal, programming about equal again. The biggest problem with a Mac is that they aren't as widely used, so if you wanted to play some games with friends you might not be able to. There are ways around that as well, but that would severely reduce the capabilities of the computer. Basically, it depends on how intensive the video editing that you are going to do is. If it's frequent and pretty intensive, then go with a Mac. If it's more of a hobby interest, then go with a PC.

alanuofm

VIP Member
klivingen said:
Hello all,

I am a college student about to enter Grad School, and I am going to purchase a laptop computer in order to make school easier on myself. I have a good bit of money saved up, and am prepared to spend up to $3K on this computer, as I want to keep it for some time afterwards.

I want to use for class, with papers and so forth, and would have to have it be wireless internet capable. I also do a fair bit of programming with Visual C++/Basic. But I would also like a computer that can:

- Edit videos
- Play games
- Burn DVD's

I have heard more than a few people touting the many advantages of MAC computers. Should I get a MAC? A PC? Who should I buy from? What kind of computer is right for me? What is the meaning of life? Help!

Well since you do need it for gaming you should go with a PC since few amounts of games are MAC compatible. A 3000$ budget can basically get you any laptop. What are you size preferences? Do you want portability or do you want sheer a$$ kicking performance?