Purchasing a New Computer

Daisy

I plan to purchase a new desk top computer in the very near future. I'll use it for small business management (sales), network of 2 computers, downloading music, editing & printing photographs, and e-mail. I don't plan to do much gaming. I need a system that can handle my multitasking, that's fast so I can run multiple programs w/o crashing and load graphics faster than pop-ups (ha ha). At the monent I'm running on cable modem. $1500-$2,000 is my max price range. Any suggestions? Also is Windows XP Professional that great? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Daisy

Really, good to know there is nothing additional I'll need to add in order to avoid the crashing. Kool, thanks !!

Rebel PC Guru

kof2000 said:
then you'll want to buy a HP computer off the self.
:eek: :eek:

watch out for "boxed systems" and for networking XP Pro is the best, however it does not always like misc programs........please please research before you buy!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
then you'll want to buy a HP computer off the self.
I have some suspicions but ... any specific reason?

@Daisy
  • ASUS P5GD2 @ 135USD
  • Pentium4 540 @ 225USD
  • 2 x Corsair ValueSelect 512MB (VS512MB533D2) @ 75USD each
  • Maxtor DiamondMax10 250 @ 150USD
  • NEC3520 @ 50USD
  • Xclio 450W @ 50USD
  • A case of some sort
Total so far = 760USD

Lax

VIP Member
Rebel PC Guru said:
:eek: :eek:

watch out for "boxed systems" and for networking XP Pro is the best, however it does not always like misc programs........please please research before you buy!

Technically speaking Win2k (AS, Pro) or Linux are the best for networking. Id have to agree with Prae more. Building your own system is usually cheaper and you can customize it more to exactly what you want. Only thing you might wanna change is the ram, value select should be ok unless you are doing MAJOR multitasking and/or memory intensive programs.

chainzawz

You will wanna check out the Dell 8400! I got one and it is the best my uncle spent about 200 a lil less and i can have like 10 programs running at once and i have no problems check it out!

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Most of what i see coming in for repair are HP's, stay the !#%@&* away from them! runaway :eek: (eventhough dell has market share, hp's break more often, mmmuch more).

boxed systems are ok for boxed needs, but just remember, the manufacturer is going to customize windows and add whatever junk they feel like to your Windows installation...