Quad Core vs Dual Core *Official Thread*

Kornowski

VIP Member
001_far_cry_2_benchmark_test.png

Look at that! :eek: Quad Core and Dual Core, Equal!? The world's going to end!

DirtyD86

banned
the computer world is the only place where 2 > 4

at least when it comes to gaming (which is all that matters anyways)

:p

DV83R

quad core is for the real hardcore gamer. like me :p but seriously quad core is almost outta date as intel is getting ready with there new cores. there hexa and octa cores. not that they are needed AT ALL

Kesava

Well I'm incredibly happy with my Q6600, even though I'm not currently using it, and cant see myself upgrading it anytime soon.
I go through cycles where I game heaps, then get sick of it, then get back into it again. A Q6600 suits me fine :)

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Well I'm incredibly happy with my Q6600
I have a Dual Core but eh... I want a Q9450 or the upcoming nehalems.
Say what you want, get whay you want, nothing is going to change the fact that a 1.8GHz single-core Sempron with whooping 128KB L2 cache is the best CPU out there, and paired with 2.5GBs generic-brand DDR-400 in dual channel and a 8500GT makes for world'd greatest gaming rig. Eat that you crazy fanboys spending thousands on some sloppy "quad" core lol...

Kornowski

VIP Member
How's that Sempron and 8500 treating you, Hack? You know you should really upgrade, I heard Windows 3.1 doesn't play Minesweeper to well! :p

Scubie67

I have a Dual Core but eh... I want a Q9450 or the upcoming nehalems.

Q9450 has been discontinued.For about the same price you can get a Q9550.

edit* When the nehalems come out the current quads should drop.Might be able to get a Q9650 at a pretty good price then.That is what I am thinking of doing

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
How's that Sempron and 8500 treating you, Hack? You know you should really upgrade, I heard Windows 3.1 doesn't play Minesweeper to well!
Minesweeper...pfft, Minesweeper is for nerds. And as for your smart@$$ joke, Dungeon Crawl maxes out easily and my frames never dip below 7... beat that you filthy quad-core...quad-corer.

That Sempron will overclock like a donkey on steroids.
If I had a decent board it would. But I don't, the best I can do is lower my volts to 1.1 from 1.4 and save on my mum's electricity bills...

But will perform like a stoned snail.
Snail+1.jpg
Q6600 = Turtle. Mwahahaha!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get a Dual Core if all you do is game.
Get a Quad Core if you game and multi task.

i dont agree :D

Quads are the way to go if you want to game because games will start to use all their cores,for example the e8400 dual core isnt going to last forever as king for gamers.

i actualy think that probably a few years away that Intel will scrap making dual core completly and just make lower end quads and higher end ones.

theres realy no need for Dual cores anymore,WE HAVE QUAD ;)

just wait for more 45nm affordable quads.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Minesweeper...pfft, Minesweeper is for nerds. And as for your smart@$$ joke, Dungeon Crawl maxes out easily and my frames never dip below 7... beat that you filthy quad-core...quad-corer.

If I had a decent board it would. But I don't, the best I can do is lower my volts to 1.1 from 1.4 and save on my mum's electricity bills...

Snail+1.jpg
Q6600 = Turtle. Mwahahaha!

Dungeon Crawl!? Oh man, force some AA on there! I can't play it on anything above medium @ 640 x 480.