Question about my graphics card...

w00tens

I just got a ATI Radeon 9250 256MB DDR PCI card and I installed it, but nothing looks different, my old card was just an integrated crappy one, so I was expecting to see a huge difference when i played Warcraft 3, and I also got Half-Life 2. I was wondering if there was anything I could have done wrong, because it wasn't worth the $$$ if it only looks this good. :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I just got a ATI Radeon 9250 256MB DDR PCI card and I installed it, but nothing looks different, my old card was just an integrated crappy one, so I was expecting to see a huge difference when i played Warcraft 3, and I also got Half-Life 2. I was wondering if there was anything I could have done wrong,
1. What was the old integrated model? (i.e, if your old integrated one was a Radeon9100 you wont notice much)
2. Well the 9250 isnt much of a serious gaming card in either case and on (relatively) heavy things like WC3 and HL2 you probably wont notice much of a difference because often the games are well outside of the scope of both the onboard and the 9250 :)

w00tens

now i am mad :/

For christmas I got this really really nice graphics card, but my computer ended up not having a AGP slot, only PCI slots, so my dad and I went out to get a good PCI one, and this Radeon 9250 said that it supports DirectX 9.0, and the ati.com site says it supports DirectX 9.0, but when I change my settings on the graphics on HL2, it says that the max my card supports is 8.1, and now when I look at the website for stores like Circuit City and CompUSA it also says DirectX 8.1. Gah! I feel so terrible, I will really be depressed if I have to make my dad go out again and take another card back, and get another! Can you please recommend a PCI graphics card that also supports DirectX 9?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well the Radeon9250 supports DX9 but you're probably better off running the DX8 codepath; a spin through FarCry can confirm that. As for HL2 ... i'd personally chalk it up to either [1] HL2 is a stupid game and wierd stuff just happens orrrrrrrrrrr [2] The game realizes well in advance that the 9250 should be running in DX8 mode.

If you are looking for alternatives, the GeForceFX5200 and 5500 come in PCI variants

w00tens

:p I lost you at FarCry

If it supports DX9, why doesn't it say so?

P.S. - I thank you very much for all of your help! :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I lost you at FarCry
If it supports DX9, why doesn't it say so?
The GeForceFX5950U (as well as the rest of the GeForceFX family really), is a DirectX9 card but for all intents and purposes a DirectX8 card due to performance reasons when running the DX9 codepath. Perhaps its a siomilar deal with the Radeon9250.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Aplogies for having a brain fart. The Radeon9250 is a DirectX8 part (much like the geForce4MX is actually a DirectX7 card).

2. Because ATI is stupid and wants to f_ck with consumers, they have very friggen stupid naming conventions. Contrary to common sense, the 9250 is a slower cored card than the 9200. The 9200 runs at 250/200 while the 9250 runs at 240/250. Overall its probably faster since 10MHz doesnt make that much of a difference but its just stupid that ATI would do smething like that.

3. WC3 is not a DirectX9 game so it doesnt matter. As for HL2, your card operates in DirectX8 mode (and does so for WC3 too)

w00tens

But then why does it say it supports DX9 on the box and on the ati website? :cool:

Also, I looked at my "device manager" and it shows Radeon 9250, and then under it, it shows Radeon 9250 Secondary, what is this secondary?