Question about VPN kill switches

Erentigionation

Okay, this question is really bothering me. So I was under the impression that the VPN kill switch feature is something provided by the VPN app (e.g. OpenVPN) and not by the VPN service provider. I was under this impression because I use the TunnelBear service, and the kill switch feature works flawlessly under OpenVPN, but when I was using the default app provided by TunnelBear, the connection would drop all the time and I wouldn't get disconnected from the Internet; the Internet connection would continue as usual, just unencrypted (this is one of the main reasons why I use OpenVPN now instead of the default app). According to this article the kill switch feature is actually provided by the VPN service and not by the app. If this is the case, then clearly TunnelBear provides a kill switch to all of its customers, so you'd think the feature would work regardless of what app I'm using to connect to their servers. So why does it work with OpenVPN and not with the default app? This makes absolutely no sense to me. The only thing I can think of is maybe the kill switch feature was something they added between the time when I installed the TunnelBear app and the time when I installed OpenVPN. I honestly have no idea though. I'm completely stumped here.