Question on doing a fresh reformat.

vinnybarbarino

i am using a windows ME , and i installed a windows 2000 as a dual boot .

now i want to just keep the windows ME as a stand alone .

i have a 40 gig HDD .

2 gb was alotted for the ME and the rest for the 2k.

now everytime i reformat to install the ME - i only have and can only use 2gb and cant use the rest of the HDD space anymore.

what can i do to get back all the 40 gb HDD space fo the ME.

Shame on you for using ME ;)

Anyways... if memory serves:

Windows 2000 uses NTFS as its file system... Windows ME uses FAT32... You can access FAT files from a NTFS partition, but not the other way around.

Here's what to do (again: if memory serves):

Boot from your ME CD.
Get a DOS prompt (one of the options is something like "Boot to a DOS prompt with CD support").
In DOS, navigate to your CD drive (if you need help with DOS, just let me know), and type fdisk.
It's been a while, but you'll have to basically get rid of all partitions on your hard disk (fdisk is pretty obvious...).
As soon as there are no partitions left on your hard disk, reboot to your Windows ME CD and install the sucker - it should recognize your entire hard disk now.

vinnybarbarino

tnx - newb here .
im trying to practice on my old cpu to get ready to build one around late october (been taking it apart and replacing parts ) .
yes sir i have ME - darn it - its a shame :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
now everytime I reformat to install the ME - I only have and can only use 2gb and cant use the rest of the HDD space anymore.
Because ME doesnt support NTFS ... a "safer" (safer = no command prompt) way would be to boot up via the Windows2000 disc, go as if you were gonna install it and kill the partition, remake it and quit the installation and fire up the ME installation :)

vinnybarbarino

tnx - i did it and so far so good .
BTW i installed a 2nd hard drive and a new dvd rom + and extra 256md ram . hope this keeps me satisfied til end of october when prices go lower - and build an new system.