Question Regarding RAM Issue With GA-A320M-S2H Motherboard

Hello everyone,

I am currently having an issue with my RAM and my motherboard. Let me start off with my overall computer specs as I have listed below.

My specs;
Motherboard: GA-A320M-S2H
Graphics Card: GTX 1050TI
RAM: 8GB 1R*8 PC4 3000 16-18-18-36 HP V6 DDR4 (x2)
Processor: Ryzen 7 2700x
Drives: 500GB SSD & 1TB HDD
PSU: 500 Watt Power Supply

The issue that I am having is that when I have fully inserted my two 8GB of RAM into each slot, my system only displays it as one. I know by a means that not one of my RAM sticks are damaged in any way, shape or form as I have done a couple of tests. The first test that I have done was that I would replace my new Ryzen 7 processor with my old Ryzen 3 1200 processor. From this test, my computer was able to fully detect that I have 16GB of total RAM installed. I have also tried testing each RAM stick individually and both would work fine on either slot. With my Ryzen 7 processor installed, when I went into BIOS, it would display that I do have all RAM sticks fully inserted, though my computer is unable to recognize that I have 16GB therefore it only displays 8GB.

I also checked for any kind of debris or damage to the RAM slots themselves and there would be no sign of debris and or damage to the slots. My CPU is also seated very firmly into it's socket.

After these tests I am at the conclusion that either my motherboard is damaged, and or it is too weak to handle 16GB of RAM with a high end processor.
If my conclusion is false, can you please explain why my motherboard is behaving this way?

I will greatly and respectively appreciate any feedback!

Make sure you are running bios version F20 or higher as that is the version that supports the 2700 cpu.
Hello,

Thank you for the reply!

In regards to my BIOS updates and versions, I am currently sitting on BIOS version F50 as that was installed in November 28, 2019. When I go to my motherboards manufacture website, it shows a BIOS version of F53, however it has a requirement of, update AMD Agesa ComboV1 1.0.0.6 A. Is this something I need to update to before installing this new version of BIOS, or can I just install this version right of way?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No you don't need to do anything but download and update to that version of bios. But I highly doubt updating to the latest is gonna fix the issue, but who knows. You might have to reset bios back to defaults maybe.

No you don't need to do anything but download and update to that version of bios. But I highly doubt updating to the latest is gonna fix the issue, but who knows. You might have to reset bios back to defaults maybe.
I recently upgraded to BIOS version F53 as that is the latest version posted on my motherboard's website as I have linked it here. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

The result from upgrading my version of BIOS is that now Windows 10 does display that I have 16GB of RAM installed however it says that only 8GB of RAM is usable.
I tried switching the two RAM sticks around, yet it still gives the same end result.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes the only way to fix this is a fresh install of windows. Are these memory sticks matching pairs? Same speed, timings, etc.

beers

Staff member
Do you have anything ticked under msconfig for maximum memory? That was an issue for a while where it would randomly become selected and artificially limit the amount of RAM that the PC could use.

Otherwise those are kind of finnicky and difficult to solve, do you see a full capacity in a Linux boot CD or similar? That would help rule out OS/software issues vs hardware.