Questions: 6700K 4.5Ghz On Air @1.350v First time Overclocking

Hello guys! Just learned how simple it is to do a basic Overclock. I managed after testing for 2 days during the storm that hit the east how to overlcock my 6700K for the first time. I managed to pull 4.5Ghz on Air using the Cryorig M9i @1.350v I ran RealBench for 4 hours and had no issues, temperatures maxed at 87c. Yes I know this is pretty high and I should get a better cooler but that's not my objective right now, I am just testing the waters and learning.

#1 Is it harmful for my CPU to run @1.350v?
#2 My Idle temperatures went up from from 31-35c to 38-40c on idle after the overclocking. Is this normal? is there a way to fix it?
#3 My CPU Idles at 1.332v on HWMonitor on my Desktop with nothing running and it doesn't go down but when stress testing it does go down to a "Value" amount of 1.290v or 1.255v which seems more in the normal end of things. Is this normal?

How can I fix #2 and #3?

Thank you so much.

beers

Staff member
#2 is a direct result of voltage.
#3 depends on LLC, which will increase the heat of the cpu even more if you set it to a more aggressive mode.

#2 is a direct result of voltage.
#3 depends on LLC, which will increase the heat of the cpu even more if you set it to a more aggressive mode.
Haven't touched LLC at all yet, so if it increases temps I won't touch it at all. Its running pretty stable right now. Pretty happy with it. Will keep doing test and see what happens, I might dial it down to 4.4Ghz

Darren

Staff member
If you've got a fixed voltage it's not going to change regardless of load. Mine's locked to 1.35v and stays at that even at idle. Unless you're on the upper voltage limit it's totally safe to leave it there 24/7.

If you've got a fixed voltage it's not going to change regardless of load. Mine's locked to 1.35v and stays at that even at idle. Unless you're on the upper voltage limit it's totally safe to leave it there 24/7.
Excellent! thank you very much! I do appreciate the feedback. First time overclocking.

I managed to pull 4.5Ghz @1.355 Volts (BIOS) but HWMonitor constantly reports my Voltage to be at 1.332 which is totally fine. However not sure what my problems is and its why I asked about the Voltage. My Idle temps don't drop to the low 30's like they used to, they are staying at 40c and that seems to be odd. Computer is clean too. Last I checked 3 weeks ago before I did my Overclock My Idle temps were around 31-35c now they stay at 40c.

That's what is bugging me. Any thoughts on this?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you are running more voltage it is going to be hotter.

Sounds like you are getting some vdroop. You might need to adjust your CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration settings in the M.I.T. BIOS section. It's under M.I.T. -> Advanced Voltage Settings -> Advanced Power Settings.

Also, I have read the sensors are sometimes off on the gigabyte gaming series. If your system is stable, you are probably OK as is.

If you are running more voltage it is going to be hotter.

Sounds like you are getting some vdroop. You might need to adjust your CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration settings in the M.I.T. BIOS section. It's under M.I.T. -> Advanced Voltage Settings -> Advanced Power Settings.

Also, I have read the sensors are sometimes off on the gigabyte gaming series. If your system is stable, you are probably OK as is.
Yeah its pretty stable actually. I am staying at 4.5Ghz and not going higher due to the need of higher voltage to maintain a stable overclock, don't want to push it beyond 1.355 where is at now.

I'll have a look into those settings, thank you much.

During gaming like Rainbow Six Siege? I max on HWMonitor at 73c so not too bad honestly, specially using the small (Crappy) cooler I got the Cryorig M9i.