quick backup question

zombine210

my cuz just bought an asus laptop. it came with ai recovery program. should i use this or the windows 7 system recovery utility.

just need an initial backup to do a full system restore in case of total disaster or hdd upgrade.

seems like they're the same thing, but why would asus include this?

Demilich

Either program will suffice. I would most likely use the Windows 7 version, just because, well, it may work better. That may not be true, but my instinct tells me so.

Why did Asus include this backup utility? It may seem useless, but it is quite the opposite. Asus, (as much as the fanboys will not admit, but know) is much the same as HP, Toshiba, Dell, Acer, and eMachines. They all mainly use the same computer parts. Bloatware is an often dreaded word, however, is an essential reason why you most likely purchased that computer at a wonderful "steal". Companies-such as Asus-are paid to include this recovery utility and other programs, to promote their software, to lower costs on both ends, because the people who programmed that utility pay Asus big money to include this in their computers. This, in affect, lowers the price of the computer for you, the consumer, and them, the producer. A double edged sword, if you will. It's the only reason why Asus or eMachines can even compete with big name companies, such as Dell, or HP, thus lowering prices even further. Also, kind of a twist, I suppose, Asus still sells their motherboards to big name computer companies, such as HP and Dell, kind of like the brother you don't want, but need. It's never as simple as just selling computer parts, is it? Hilarious.

Last edited:

zombine210

well i ended up using the asus utility. 5 FREAKING DVDs! omg!
anyways, i did a clean install to remove all the bloatware and now it's a lean, mean machine :D

i like it when things go smooooth.