RAM showing different in bios and task manager?

Brett_md

Howdy all, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue for me.

First off, the rig in question is:

MOBO: AsRock 990fx Extreme3 AM3+
CPU: 8350FX Black Edition @ 4ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: GSkill Aegis 4x4GB @ 1600
PSU: Corsair 750TX

Anyway, bios is showing all four dimms filled and RAM running at 1600 default speed. Task manager is showing multiple numbers for RAM. See photos.
Why are there so many conflicting numbers for the RAM? In task manager, it shows that all four slots are being used but obviously it's not showing them all as being read. Also, why is the "Speed" shown as 800MHz in task manager when it shows 1600MHz in bios?

Thanks for helping clarify any of this.

Edit: Just realized I never added photos. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_101648_760.jpg
    IMG_20220722_101648_760.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220722_101501_402b.jpg
    IMG_20220722_101501_402b.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Okedokey

No photos attached, but I'd guess you have Windows 10 Home 32 bit installed??, resulting in less RAM being 'available' and thereby shown in windows. Just a guess, as ATTOW, no images. Do you have a UEFI install or not? As there was a driver update to allow for it.

Either way:
  1. Shutdown
  2. Remove RAM, and replace ensuring firm correct re-seat to ensure good secure insertion.
  3. Start computer, enter bios, load optimised default settings, save and restart.
  4. Enter BIOS (a second time) and ensure your settings are correct for the boot device and other specific settings (look at the RAM)
  5. Take note of the BIOS revision before saving any changes and restarting into Windows.
Fixed? If not, update all of your software such as chipset drivers, (32bit) (64bit).

After bios and software updates, if it still isn't working, try updating the motherboard BIOS, with the latest BIOS first (1.90), if that fixes it, great, stop there, otherwise; there is also on beta BIOS (L1.52B) that specifical fixes memory compatibility. Unzip both files to a USB drive (FAT32 format) and see instructions on how to update BIOS here first. Essentially tap F6 on start up, with USB in computer, containing the two (2) bios files. Update accordingly. Standard warnings apply, consider saving your current BIOS to your USB first, so you can go back if needed.

Brett_md

No photos attached, but I'd guess you have Windows 10 Home 32 bit installed??, resulting in less RAM being 'available' and thereby shown in windows. Just a guess, as ATTOW, no images. Do you have a UEFI install or not? As there was a driver update to allow for it.

Either way:
  1. Shutdown
  2. Remove RAM, and replace ensuring firm correct re-seat to ensure good secure insertion.
  3. Start computer, enter bios, load optimised default settings, save and restart.
  4. Enter BIOS (a second time) and ensure your settings are correct for the boot device and other specific settings (look at the RAM)
  5. Take note of the BIOS revision before saving any changes and restarting into Windows.
Fixed? If not, update all of your software such as chipset drivers, (32bit) (64bit).

After bios and software updates, if it still isn't working, try updating the motherboard BIOS, with the latest BIOS first (1.90), if that fixes it, great, stop there, otherwise; there is also on beta BIOS (L1.52B) that specifical fixes memory compatibility. Unzip both files to a USB drive (FAT32 format) and see instructions on how to update BIOS here first. Essentially tap F6 on start up, with USB in computer, containing the two (2) bios files. Update accordingly. Standard warnings apply, consider saving your current BIOS to your USB first, so you can go back if needed.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Yeah, I totally forgot the photos. I just added them if you want to see them.

Fixed:
I did your suggestion and removed and reset all the RAM, and that was enough. I didn't need to make further adjustments in bios. I took out and reset each stick, rebooted and task manager is showing a total of 16GB at proper speeds.

Thanks!