Random freezes an stuff

inthedark7

I'd like to start off by saying sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
I just searched google for computer forums cause I have a problem that I don't know how to fix.

Well, this is the problem, when I start to play games on my computer, eventually it'll freeze. I think it's a heating problem, I downloaded Speedfan and it shows my CPU at 45celcius while idle, and I go up to 60-65 when in a game.
I'm not sure if that's the problem, but I freeze really quickly in a game, about 5 minutes in. Could this be a RAM problem?
The CPU fan runs 2700RPMs, the rear fan at 2200RPM(both maxed at all times).
The thermal compound on the CPU is really old(computer is over 7years old), and I've taken off the heat sinc a few times, so that probably ruined the compound on it, I'll be replacing that tomorrow.
I tried opening the box, and pointing a fan at it. That just made it much worse, it'd freeze even on the desktop, which it normally didn't do. The temperatures didn't seem to change much.(maybe 1 degree)
The temperature of the video card is fine, and its drivers are up to date, so I don't think that's the problem.
This problem just kinda started out of the blue, no real trigger. I do take the heatsinc off the CPU occasionally to clean it from dust, so maybe it's the thermal compound.

I guess what I'm asking is what other possibilities are there? could my ram be the cause? how would I check?

Intel P4 3.06GHz
D865PERL motherboard
Geforce 7800 GS
3gb ram

Last edited: