Random Shut-down

Stinemart

I purchased a Compaq Presario 6 months ago. For the past 2 months, the computer shuts down at random times. When it restarts, I get the recovery screen asking how I'd like to boot-up (safe mode, normal, last good configuration), where I select the last good configuration option. From this point, whether or not the computer starts up is anyone's guess...it moves onto the XP loading screen, but after a little "thinking", will sometimes restart and take me back to the recovery screen to start the process again. It usually takes atleast 2 passes of this to actually get up and running. Once it does, the computer seems to function fine until the next time it decides to shut down (usually every couple days, give or take). I've got norton and it never finds anything. Anyone know what the heck is going on and how to fix this? :confused:

Jeepers79

She has not added any mem, any internal hardware..nothing good old stock comp. She also said it "usually" shuts down when she is trying to do something such as print. Normally does not just down if it is just idle.

tristan

This is most likely a heat or voltage issue. If you have had it for 6 months it should still be under warranty. Have you called them and told them your problem? If it isnt then you are going to have to isolate the problem which will require you to open the case and do some investigating.

Stinemart

One thing I just remembered is that to the best of my knowledge the problem started after I installed a wireless USB device. I'm wondering if it isn't related to this. I've tried reinstalling the device to see if that was the problem and it seemed better for a few days.....but then it crashed again :(

No, I haven't called them yet. Guess that is my next step!

tristan

Hrmm USB's only take about 5 volts to use but that could have been all it needed for it to be 'too much'.